View: 376|Reply: 7

best way to use avios points?

[Copy link]
2-12-2019 22:35:41 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
got about 100k of these and wondering how best to use them.

Last time we had a few saved up I used them to bump economy tickets to club, as that way you get a significant 'value' compared to paying for club class, plus you don't pay any additional tax.

but this time we're looking at perhaps a short family break to europe (2 adults 2 kids) or perhaps using it to fund one adult ticket to Japan (we go every year). But will taxes kill the value? Are there tricks to getting the most out of these?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:42 Mobile | Show all posts
I know this is a very old post but lots of people ask questions about spending Avios...there are definitely a few tricks to get the best out of your Avios although, there is no way around the taxes in the UK unfortunately (doesn't matter whether it is Avios you are spending or another flyer program).
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 2-12-2019 22:35:43 Mobile | Show all posts
We ended up using them for the fixed price European flights (£30 tax isn't bad) plus hotel accommodation. Got some more saved up now so probably do the same.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:44 Mobile | Show all posts
European reward flights now aren't bad...even if you use them to fly business as the fixed fees are pretty good, as business is only £15 more than economy. (And especially good when you look at the prices of European business flights - they are often pretty extortionate).  

If you have enough Avios, Russia is quite good deal as it comes under the reward flight saver, but you can fly in business or even first (the first fee is a little higher than business, but only by £5 at  £55) so you don't get massively stung by fees, get to fly in first with access to the First lounges, which at T5 is the Concorde Room (which is extremely nice) or club world (which is much nicer than Club Europe).  Return in First to Moscow is 80,000 for peak (68,000 if off peak).  I only mention as if you fly First anywhere else you get massively stung by the fees, but Moscow is an odd exception as its in Europe...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:35:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Used a massive chunk of mine on Eurostar. Saved about £900 of pure value with no tax to pay. Wanted the expensive direct train to Eurodisney & upgraded class at the same time.
That, car hire, hotels, flight upgrades are the way forward in my opinion, although agree the odd European flight can be decent value too,

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:35:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Hadn't really ever thought of Eurostar as a viable use...I will take a look, thank you.  
We use all our Avios for flying in business or first - much nicer way to fly - I'm not sure economy outside of Europe is really worth it once you add fees/taxes etc., and take into account what you would have to spend to earn those points, especially if you buy economy flights in a sale.  Whereas the nicer cabins, we would never otherwise afford unless a one off (or justify paying for either).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:35:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Car rental is a better deal than using them for flights IMO.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:35:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Long haul with Avios is a waste if time, unless you have so many for nowt you'd otherwise struggle to use them. For most folks, with limited Avios, the European flights are the most efficient use as far as I could see last time I looked. This is especially so in case where a regional add on is effectively free, albeit if you use that, it is at the cost of less actual availability.  UK flights aren't the bargain they used to be when it was Airmiles, but its still a good use for your miles.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部