View: 825|Reply: 22

Alone in New York!

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:36:52 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm off to the Big Apple again next Thursday for a flying visit.  MMA has only just been legalised in the state after 20 years of legal wrangling and I always vowed to go to the first event in Madison Square Garden, so here we go...

As it's a short trip, (Thursday to Sunday) my wife isn't coming so I'll be solo for a few days.

Any suggestions on stuff to do (keep it clean) or places to eat?  As I'm by myself I don't care about swanky restaurants etc, just want good solid authentic NYC eating.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:36:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Shake shack in madison garden, awesome burgers
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:36:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I popped into a shake shack on 8th avenue or somewhere, wasn't blown away.

Despite my desire for authentic New York grub, I'll be making my way daily to Tim Hortons. They're like Canada's answer to Starbucks and I only found out in April that they had a place in NYC. Heaven.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:36:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Hooters for scenic dining.

Helicopter ride.

Rockerfeller Centre roof for great city centre views.

The new buildings at ground zero.

Walk the Brooklyn Bridge ( its an elevated walking track ) south to Brooklyn and at a time when the sun will make Manhattan look great in photos.

Aircraft carrier, Concorde, nuclear sub and I think now Space Shuttle, at one of the west side piers.

Fast jet boat ride.

Circular boat trip round the whole of Manhattan.

Boat to Ellis Island historic immigration centre via stop at Statue of Liberty ( get off, walk around but don't go up monument )

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:36:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Done them all, except the jet boat ride.

Why wouldn't you recommend going up the statue?  It's actually one of the few things I still want to do but I'll wait til the next time I'm there with my wife.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:36:56 Mobile | Show all posts
When in NYC I almost exclusively eat pizza. That's because their pizza is just amazing. But you've also got Katz's Deli (205 East Houston St) that serves up the BEST Reuben sandwich you'll probably ever have.

But the pizza... I miss it so much! I had a pizza place mapped out for pretty much wherever I was in Manhattan : III L's on lower Broadway (now closed), Pizza Box in SoHo (also closed), Famous Ray's Original Pizza on 9th Ave, and Ben's Pizza in SoHo, made famous from movies such as 'Big' and 'Men in Black'.

Echo a few things said here - boat ride around lower Manhattan, leaves from around pier 45, is an excellent way to see the city and the tour guide on the boat giving commentary is excellent. Go up the Rock - so you can get photo's of the Manhattan skyline with the Empire building in it (can't do that when you go up the Empire, but do that also cos it's superb up there). Go to Staten Island at sunset for photo opportunities, and also take the PATH train to Exchange Place in New Jersey (literally across the Hudson) to get the best skyline pictures, especially at night. Central Park is lovely, although don't venture too far into it on your own especially after dark. I went to Ellis Island and Liberty Island, but didn't go up the statue either. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge, and take a cab back (just to tick it off), visit South Street pier under the FDR on the east side of Manhattan. Definitely go to SoHo and visit Canal Street - some great nick-nack stores there.

One of the things I loved to do the most was simply walk around. Not even in the touristy attraction places - just up and and down the regular streets, simply to observe the city in motion, and the people going about their daily things. Some would say that's boring, but I love to people-watch.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:36:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh and don't forget the Ghostbusters firehouse, "Hook and Ladder 8" 14 N Moore St

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 22:36:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Excellent, eateries are the main thing I'm looking for.

I've done NYC twice before so most of the sightseeing has been ticked off. And as I'm going to be solo in town I've decided to bring my gym gear and go to a few Brazilian Jiujitsu sessions in Marcelo Garcia's Academy. (Garcia is a legend in the sport).

Between training and going to the fight on Saturday plus the weigh ins on Friday, the only thing I still want to figure out is food.

And I love pizza...

I will be popping into the Carnegie Deli for a pastrami and egg sandwich though, they are amazing. But after that it'll be pizza a plenty.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 22:36:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I went to Hooters a few years ago with my wife. Had a massive plate of boneless BBQ wings that had about 7000 calories...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 22:36:58 Mobile | Show all posts
There's a great Deli off Broadway somewhere near Times Square...think it's called Metro Deli? Eat in or take out, but nice range of salads, pastas....and amazing cheesecake!

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部