View: 348|Reply: 4

LED Strip lights for 70" tv, How to turn off and on with TV Power?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:08:14 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have found short strings of led strip lights that mount to the back of a TV that plug directly into a usb port on the back of the t.v. for power.  thus, when you turn on or off your t.v., your backlighting goes off and on.  I am guessing that with the need to have roughly 16 feet of lights, give or take a foot,  one usb would not power the string.  So, how do I get my t.v. to turn off and on a string of led lights powered bu ac power?  Is there a usb switch?  Ideally, I would like to find a kit with that 16 foot strip.  Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Peter

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:08:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Maybe find a friend at Computer-Club, Radio Amateur, etc.
If the BIG TV has the USB port, the can be interfaced to drive a relay, which switches on the mains ( via separate cord), to power almost limitless LEDs.
Doing such yourself involves mucho risko - and if you have to ask here, then you probably won't be able to DIY.
If the BIG TV doesn't have an active USB port, then you'll have to detect the ac-input current so this can be used to switch on the LEDs - the minor benefit of this approach is the USB isn't tied-up and your mains source ( box) will have a mains socket, for the TV - so no changes.... This (box) will have the mains input and power supply to operate the relay/interface and provide the output DC, ideally via a small DC connector.
The commercial alternative is wherever you buy "TV Backlights" - will doubtless have several solutions to this.....
The only worry (for me) is that your TV is always in "Standby mode". and this additional feature will add to this small load.

FWIW I have my TV plugged into a switchable extension, thus switching OFF means no standby. Switching ON puts the TV into standby,   switches ON an audio amplifier. . . . It would be very easy to add a PSU and string of LEDs - but I've never thought this necessary as I need some room-lighting to allow folk to walk about.

Hope that's some help.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:08:16 Mobile | Show all posts
An alternative route might be to use LEDs that are controlled separately but then use a control system that could switch both.

I use an old Philips Pronto system but a Harmony remote and suitable lights would also do the job.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:08:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Belkin used to do a power strip called the conserve strip. Essentially a master sockets that had 3-4 slave sockets which were dependant on whether the master was drawing above a standby current or not. I had it set up with so that when the TV went on it turned some extra fans on in my TV cabinet as well as the Blu-Ray player. There were also a couple of 'always on' sockets for things like sky, etc.

You could get a couple of dual USB AC plugs and drive them from the slave ports...

Looks like this does a similar thing - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00E0M9RE4/ref=dp_prsubs_1

Cheers

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:08:18 Mobile | Show all posts
I`ve done the same as above, works a treat

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register