Author: Greg Hook

Ring Spotlight Cam Battery Review & Comments

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:10:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Been on the phone to ring again as my 2nd unit has now stopped working, started of with the battery open keep appearing on the app.

They've told me this morning that they haven't had no one mention any issues with the battery door saying it's open on the app. Maybe they should try google.

@CarMad @meltonboy
Do you both use Iphone? Any more issues on your new spotlights?

Thanks.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The new one has been fine so far despite the rain yesterday.

I do use and iPhone and was getting the same message before it failed. It does seem water related, IP55 might not be sufficient for our wet weather it seems. Have you made sure all the screws are put in the back and no holes are open?!?

I left the bung in the back of the camera this time as some added protection.

Use magic Report

I
f these are assembled and installed as designed, IPx5 means

“5 Water jets
Water projected by a nozzle (6.3 mm) against enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effects.
Test duration: 1 minute per square meter for at least 15 minutes
Water volume: 12.5 litres per minute
Pressure: 30 kPa at distance of 3 m”

I remember UK rain but I don’t remember rain that can exceed a 5 for liquids on the IP rating. Either there is a flaw when these are installed, or they aren’t the same as the ones officially tested. IMO

Edit - having said that I would prefer at least IPx6 for true outdoors without any protection from eaves or structure. IPx6 ramps the jets up - in volume per minute, diameter of nozzle and pressure. IPx7 is the first that involves immersion but the extra cost (manufacture and purchase isn’t worth it for the majority of things we want to simply use outdoors. You won’t be dropping your security camera in the swimming pool in normal use.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:10:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd agree IP55 should be enough I'm familiar with the requirement, however how the test is performed within those requirements is another matter. Mine was exposed from all angles and I wonder being angled downwards if ingress in the back has occurred.

But a fair few have failed for reasons that aren't clear but rain related (it would seem). I've made sure I've put all the screws in the right place and left the bung in the top slot even though I'm not entirely sure it should still be there.

Fingers crossed this one lasts for longer. I have the floodlight camera as well and that has been fine but in a far more sheltered place, ditto the doorbell has been fine.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:10:54 Mobile | Show all posts
The test is from any direction. The IP system is pretty solid because the testing is standard - manufacturers can’t really fiddle except for outright lying about a rating.

The camera is sold as IP55 so if there is a water ingress related failure and the camera hasn’t been installed or used outside of the normal and stated uses, send it back and demand a refund.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:10:55 Mobile | Show all posts
The camera was replaced without question from Ring. I’ve got the silicone sleeve on for two reasons now.

A tiny element of extra protection and it also has a lip over the top front of the camera to help rain not get on the lens but that won’t help with driving rain.

Fingers crossed it’s all water tight this time if I get anymore issues I will report back.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:10:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the review, I have been considering one of these for a while.  Also got a lot out of reading the comments but also fancy a damn pork pie now.

A couple of questions I have, has anyone tried the solar panel?  does it work ok in our weather and poor levels of sunshine outside of summer?

Lastly, do you install these about 10ft or higher?  I imagine if installed near the roof soffits, not only are you limiting access to the battery, but likely not be able to see the faces of the people approaching.

Thx

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:10:57 Mobile | Show all posts
With the fitting height remember that you will need to access it to occasionally reconnect Wi-fi and remove battery to recharge. So if you fit it at a height that you can’t reach be prepared for some arse ache when you need to access it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:10:57 Mobile | Show all posts
I’ve got the solar and it stays at 98 % every time I check it, it works very well. The panel is near the top of the house.  

The Ring camera itself is above door height under a gutter and it’s working very well indeed.

The camera sleeve above helps water not go down the front and I have not had any other water issues even in heavy rain.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:10:59 Mobile | Show all posts
So you have a cable running from the solar panel on roof to the camera?

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部