View: 349|Reply: 4

HDMI splitter, or splitter with amp?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:16:45 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have a Panasonic freesat/TV/soundbar set up.
The freesat box just has one HDMI output.
The soundbar was a recent addition and suffered from significant lag between sound and vision when using HDMI cables box>TV>soundbar.
I cured this by using the optical output on the freesat box direct to the soundbar but this means I have to press the "optical" button on the soundbar each time we switch on/change channels/move to hard disc recordings.
A dish/antennae guy visited last week to try and sort HD break up on ITVHD and BBC2 (not resolved as it seems there's a longstanding issue between Freesat/ITV/Panasonic since ITV changed how they transmit on Freesat to obtain more regional coverage).
Anyways....the dish guy suggested I could replace the optical connection with an HDMI splitter on the freesat box which would then enable 2 separate feeds to the TV and soundbar.

Looking at these on ebay etc. there seems to be the option of a simple splitter, or a splitter/amp combo.

Which is better?
Does a simple splitter = a halved/weaker signal to the TV and bar?
Or is it essential/better to have the amplified version?

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:16:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I bought one of these before christmas to split a skq signal between my loiving romm TV and one in the kitchen.

No loss of picture of signal that i can see.

HDMI Splitter Amplifier 2 Way
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:16:47 Mobile | Show all posts
It is “better” to have powered versions but 2 outputs from one input is rarely a challenge in a passive splitter.

Your audio delay issues using all HDMI should be able to be fixed by an adjustment in the audio menu of the TV (or soundbar). I would try that before purchasing a splitter personally.

HDMI as a standard has had the technology and feature to remove audio delay issues between two devices connected for a long time. Once you connect via something or onwards to a soundbar like you describe, you need the audio delay adjustments found on virtually every digital AV device nowadays.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:16:48 Mobile | Show all posts
outoftheknow....thank you for your suggestions.

When I set up the soundbar I spent ages trying to resolve the sound lag.

The freesat box is the oldest bit of kit....DMR-BS850EB, its excellent except for the  Freesat/ITV/Panasonic issue of not ITV wanting there FS HD signal broadcast more widely to different regions and Freesat complying, resulting in Panasonic TVs/Freesat boxes having problems with signal break up. It appears some folk have cured this by getting a larger satellite dish.

The TV (TX-40DX600B) and soundbar (SC-HTB688 a currys special) are very recent/current models.
The soundbar has no onscreen menu, which is a pain but otherwise gives good sound.

The TV has a sound and picture menu, as you would expect but neither menu has a facility for adjusting sound lag lag.
At its worst, I get a 2 second delay between lips moving onscreen and the sound following on.

The Panasonic helpline came up with the idea of using an optical cable direct from the freesat box to the sound bar and this has worked, except  that as i say whenever you switch on HDMI defaults and I have to press "optical" on the soundbar remote....or I change channels, or go to programme menu, or go to recorded material, so there is a fair degree of faff trying to get the sound synched after every change.

Galactica's suggestion looks like costing £50, so I think I'll try a passive splitter first and see what effect this has.

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:16:48 Mobile | Show all posts
No worries. Just wasn’t sure if you were aware that audio delay might be in the menus. As it isn’t then the passive splitter suggestion may be a vast improvement. Good luck

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部