Connecting my raspberry pi to an old tv

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:26:00 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi all,

Not sure if this post is in the right section so please move if not.

I have a raspberry pi 2 and ive been given an old tv by friends but the tv doesnt have an hdmi port and only has a scart lead port along with other audio lead ports etc.

Does anyone know a way i could connect the raspberry pi 2 to this tv as it only has a port for a hdmi cable.

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Kind regards Mark

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
2-12-2019 23:26:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Take a look on Amazon for a HDMI to SCART converter, they’re around £15.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:26:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for your reply but i afraid that i need the cable to go from hdmi to scart not the other way round but thinking about it i dont think im going to be able to do it as its going from a current generation of cable backwards (if that makes sense)

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:26:04 Mobile | Show all posts
You can do it but anything without an HDMI port is likely to be low enough resolution that it would be unsuitable for general computing use.

If you want it for watching videos then it would be fine though.

If you can't get hold of an HDMI to SCART converter then SCART is just a combination plug for Composite, S-Video and Component RGB so a converter box for those and a plug adapter to scart would work too.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 2-12-2019 23:26:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Thank you for your help and advice

Use magic Report

2-12-2019 23:26:05 Mobile | Show all posts
HDMI cables are not different for each standard such as 1.2, 1.4b etc at least not the ones you should be looking at for the Pi.  The standard is the plug and socket, the cables are capable of different speeds. Ethernet is optional so that may be there or not.

Your old TV and SCART will only need a standard speed HDMI cable from the Pi I suspect as it won’t be HD.  You can buy a high speed HDMI cable to be safe though no problem.

SCART standards are unchanged - you simply need a high speed HDMI cable, HDMI to SCART converter (like this eBay   but others are available) and a fully connected (to be safe you get it right) SCART cable. And old fashioned left and right audio cable if you want that - the box has outputs for the sound and you say the TV has the inputs.

Or as mentioned already any other combination of box or solid adaptor converters for HDMI to SCART with the appropriate cables.

As also mentioned the Pi video output needs to be manually trimmed back resolution wise. The HDMI cable can send HD and higher and SCART can deliver full HD. The CRT though won’t be able to display that. Edit I have assumed CRT but of course that isn’t specified. The resolution issue is the same regardless - that the output of the Pi needs to be set to match a resolution input the TV can display regardless of the numbers

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部