View: 140|Reply: 0

satire disguised as bubblegum girly fluff

[Copy link]
2-2-2020 11:12:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
**SPOILERS**

I've never seen the cartoon version of Josie and Pussycats - in fact, I thought they were the girls out of Captain Caveman. Ooops. However, I find it difficult to believe that the cartoon version can be any more fun than the movie. This is one of those films that you don't set out to watch. I caught the last 30 minutes on TV one night and rushed out to buy it. I'm sure there are plenty of early teenage girls who will watch this film and just enjoy the girly-rawk music, and the romance and triumph of the goodies over the baddies. The grown ups out there will get a lot more than they bargained for. JATP is a great satire on the fickleness of the modern music world and how it feeds on and feeds up the fads of todays teens. From the branded hotel rooms through to the merciless killing off of any musician who catches on to the plot, it mocks modern life in such a gentle way that many people don't even realize what it's doing. Even the anti-climactical ending seems to sort of fit - Fiona's big plan to brainwash the youth of America to like her is so absurd it's hysterical.

The pussycats themselves are pretty good - there's a real chemistry there between the girls that's lovely to watch. It makes you wish that you'd had friends like that when you were their age. However, for me, the show is stolen away by DuJour. Although their appearances are only brief, they summed up everything that is wrong and right about the pop industry today. And I can't believe they got 'back door lover' past the censors. And the description of how they sustained their horrific injuries in the parking lot of the Metallica gig had me creased over.

score /10

katiepoppycat 7 June 2004

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0707883/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部