View: 347|Reply: 0

Yes, It's a Soap, and Yes, It's over the top

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
4-2-2020 21:53:12 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I'm not a fan of comedy whether it's Tyler Perry or anyone else, I rarely watch comedy, so I've only enjoyed a couple of Tyler Perry movies and I fail to understand why people looooove Madea because I just don't find it funny.

However, I seriously enjoy "The Oval." as much as I enjoy any city in Vh1's "Love and Hip Hop". "The Oval" makes me laugh out loud and it also makes me say "oh, damn". Yes, it is just like watching soap operas: the dysfunctional family, the woman married to a powerful but abusive husband, and the impact that hate raged relationship has on their children is a right now reality; moreover, it's worth examination. A lot of marriages are hate-filled and damaging to children, but I enjoy watching this particular fictional script of grown people's foolishness.

I hear the comments about the acting, and all I can say is: this is the very same level of acting we got with soaps like "All My Children", shows that we learned to watch with our grandmothers and babysitters. There is a reason that Susan Lucci, the infamous Erica Kane, took years and years to finally win an Emmy for her acting. Like actors in 'The Oval", Lucci's role was over the top.

There are only a few innocent characters, and viewers fear for them when the wrath of exceptionally powerful. but morally bankrupt people falls down. When minor characters intersect with major White House players, you are highly aware that their fates, their economic livelihood (their entire lives really) are dependent on two people (a president and a first lady) who are crazy as hell.

That's frightening, but anyone who's had a madhatter boss can relate. If this show didn't revolve around the White House, then it would be just another soap about a family that refuses to divorce and chooses to live in hatred together. We see civil service and government officials on the telly in cop, medical, fire, and law dramas often. But "The Oval" deals with their messed up commander in chief and it's hilarious. I love that part.

score 8/10

drewreason 2 January 2020

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw5374742/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部