12Next
Back New
View: 666|Reply: 19

Inspiring a 10 year old guitarist? Song book recommendations?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:17 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi All,

My daughter has been having paid, small group guitar lessons at school for  2 years and doesn't really seem to be progressing.  
I'm hoping you can help me to help inspire her and work a bit harder to get a lot more enjoyment out of the guitar.

There are a few problems
1 - She doesn't practice unless nagged, we often don't have the energy to do that and bribery doesn't work.
2 - The music tuition books the teacher uses don't have anything she wants to play which doesn't help with #1.
3 - The teacher is only teaching her jazz/blues single notes, no chords - which means the sound she makes is thin and nothing like the music she hears on the radio so again doesn't help with #1.
4 - I have my doubts about the teacher; he isn't teaching to grade exams and seems content to come in once a week, have a go at them about not practising and then fumble through the same song as last week.  I've spoken to the school but they put the blame back on the kids for not practising, which is fair comment but not the whole story.

I taught myself to play when I was a teenager because I really wanted to learn, but I can barely read music and have "my own techniques" which I'm loathed to pass on and undo proper training.  I can encourage and work along with her though if she wants to!

I was hoping to pick up some sheet music that would be easy enough to play but contemporary enough that she'd really want to try.  
I had a browse through on Musicroom but struggled to find anything that looks interesting.  
I had a book of "100 Superhits of the 80's" which I struggled through back in the day so pick up new chords.  My experience was the transcriptions were often inclined towards piano and made the guitar parts really tricky (or perhaps I was and still am a bit rubbish ).

Do any of you have any suggestions/recommendations for song books that won't be impossible to play but may inspire a bit of engagement?

Any other tips and tricks to get kids to put in the effort?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:18 Mobile | Show all posts
My lad is 10, I tried teaching him a couple of years ago, but I'm no teacher and it was more of an experiment for us both than anything that took. Although we both enjoyed making a racket

However, he has just started having lessons at school and the teacher is really good and has given him tabs based on simple tunes that he recognises. Things like frere jacques and the James bond theme. This has sparked something and he's enjoying playing tunes he knows and can appreciate if he's played well or not. To the point he now practises a lot and these tunes are becoming second nature and his fingering is getting better and chord structures are starting to form and he's learnt a scale or two.

He's now bringing me back into the mix and I can show him more techniques and they are not alien to him, its great. His latest homework is living on a prayer, I'm enjoying it too!

Not sure if this is helping, but I would recommend looking at the basics, even something like twinkle twinkle little star, this is in no way cool, but was amongst my sons tab sheets and something he could practise on his own and know himself whether it sounded right or not. This is something I did not appreciate when trying to teach him first time round.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:31:19 Mobile | Show all posts
I know what you mean - she did twinkle twinkle a couple of Christmases ago (!) and was pretty good at it.  Then after loads of practice she went in to show the teacher who's reaction was to criticise how she was holding the guitar - something he never mentioned before.  You can imagine how that affected an 8 year old's enjoyment and confidence

Living on a prayer sounds like a laugh!

I'm looking for specific titles to pick up with a bunch of songs if you have any from your son's work?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:20 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry, not really, he has print outs that include guitar tab and the musical form, I may ask him to ask his teacher what to recommend, as I'd be interested too. It does remind me of my experiences, my guitar case even now is packed full of songs to crib from!

A bit harsh to criticise after she'd practised. I know I'm conscious with my kids not to conflict with what they are taught, I may not agree with everything they've been told, or I do things in different ways to teachers, so I tell my kids to take what they want from what I can show them, be it maths, riding a bike, guitar, whatever, but when in class, follow what the teacher expects, as they're the ones assessing they're progress.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:21 Mobile | Show all posts
my daughter started off with a few proper lessons at school but did'nt enjoy it either.....so we bit the bullet and she had a few private lessons....and then she sort of got on with it on her own....really surprised me that she stuck with it as she doesn't listen to great deal of music but enjoys playing.

I suppose there has to be a degree of interest/enjoyment otherwise its a bit like flogging a dead horse....if its down to the way shes being taught then probably best to stop to look at a few private lessons to see it she enjoys it more?
not sure if it would hold the same interest for a 10 year old but loads of stuff on youtube...especially how to play her favourite songs simplified?......I've just bought the 'justinguitar beginners song book' for 17 quid....a 100 songs really nicely laid out and easy to follow.

difficult to motivate kids.....I played drums as a kid as I took to it well and enjoyed it but had no interest in guitar even though people tried to show me a few times and only just started to learn it now.

....one thing I thought was great was that she was hooking up with friends via Skype and making songs up between them

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:31:21 Mobile | Show all posts
The enjoyment thing is key.  When we really got her to really practise she came on really fast, I was so angry when he knocked the stuffing out of her with that comment.  "An ounce of criticism = a pound of praise" is true for all kids IMHO.

I have feelers out for a private tutor.  I contacted a couple but they don't have slots.  I guess I'll need to keep looking.  We're paying about £50 a term for the lessons at school but it seems to be pretty poor value for money.  The problem is I don't want her to quit as I know with a little dedication she will enjoy herself - it was her idea to learn not mine!

justinguitar beginners song book - looks more my era than hers but thanks for the suggestion

Hadn't really thought of You Tube - she's a screen addict so that might be a way to engage her interest, at least a cheap way to show her some songs she likes I'll take a look

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:23 Mobile | Show all posts
As an example take a look HERE.

There's plenty of chords online for all ages and tastes, against buying a book that may have just a couple of interesting tunes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:24 Mobile | Show all posts
you'd be surprised about the song book appealing to kids...taught my daughter 'these boots are made for walking' and she loves playing it as it bounces along.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:31:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks for the chords site.  I have a walk through a couple last night (using my phone) and it might work to kindle an interest.
I think I may see if she wants to learn some chords and go from there.
Any more suggestions are very welcome.

Just came across Rocksmith for the PS3 - any good?  Seems like an interesting idea but at £60 not for the feint hearted.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Rocksmith is excellent. It won't teach you to play on it's own, although the lessons in the newer one (RS2014) are a lot better than the first one.

It's great for encouraging practice though and it starts off really easy if you've never played before and will gradually build up past a single note every 20 seconds or so to more notes and then chords.

There are some great mini games to work on techniques, such as moving around the frets, scales and games to help practice switching between chords.

Not sure if the songs would be of interest to a 10 year old, it's a while since my daughter was 10, but it might be worth having a look at the setlist.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部