Back New
Author: AMc

Inspiring a 10 year old guitarist? Song book recommendations?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:26 Mobile | Show all posts
just got to learn C (or a easy C add 9) D and E....loads of pop songs are wrote like that apparently..

add a G and you can plod along to Adele's 'someone like you' very easily
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:31:27 Mobile | Show all posts
I was 11 years old when my dad got me a guitar and got me some private lessons I just about remember my guitar teacher telling me I was really good but I didnt like it so I gave up and my dad was not happy. Anyway a few years later I started playing guitar agian with friends and we lernt together ,formed a band ,ect and never looked back been playing and still enjoying 30 years on. So does your daughter want to play guitar, or do you want her to play guitar, its a big difference.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:31:28 Mobile | Show all posts
I've heard a lot of people say they wished they stuck with instruments when they were younger, very few who tell me they're glad their parents let them give up the guitar/piano/trumpet....

Initially she was the one who pestered us for lessons.  There were guitars in the playground on Thursday mornings and she wanted to learn.  She was too young but as soon as she was old enough she was signed up.  Some of her friends have "quit" which seems to be super cool if you're 10, but as her parents we're not prepared to let her pack it in - at least not yet.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:28 Mobile | Show all posts
It's a difficult line to tread. You don't want them giving up on a whim but if you make it too much of a chore, they turn against it completely.

It sounds like the teacher in school isn't up to much. Maybe enquire with the County Council to see what else they can offer? As well as lessons in school, Essex have weekend lessons available.

Norfolk County Council - Norfolk Music Service Home Page June 2010

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:31:28 Mobile | Show all posts
Indeed it is a very fine line.  Sometimes I nag her a lot, sometimes I leave her alone for weeks and find her picking away by herself.  We bribed her with a 50% increase in pocket money if she does 3x15 mins practice a week but surprisingly that had no effect at all - I guess I should be proud she's not greedy or....not....

That's one of the reasons I'm trying to find good music that she actively wants to play - I know that the right tunes will encourage her to try harder which will result in better achievement which will result in more enthusiasm.

I'm very disappointed with the current teacher, but as in all things at school I'm trying not to undermine him with my daughter.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:29 Mobile | Show all posts
Well it shouldn't be too hard to work out her favourite tunes as she's probably singing them morning, noon & night (if the last 18 months one One Direction I've had to endure is anything to go by!). How about picking one of her favourites & learning it yourself, without her knowledge. Then just ask her to sing along with you playing. If she's up for that then it should be an easy transition to "Do you want to play along?".

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:31:29 Mobile | Show all posts
I think your problem may have something to do with your opening line which is the "group" lesson. Often groups will be taught to lowest level rather than the tutor having time to spend pushing everyone to progress. Can't believe that she isn't getting enough chord work, as this is one of the basics that the "twiddly" bits are based on, getting to know where the notes are on the different strings.
My son started at about age 12, started on oasis songs from chord sheets as they are mostly simple structures, moved on to Beatles stuff which although mostly simple had some interesting chords to get his head round and keep his interest up.
He and his mate had private lessons for a while, brought him on a bit and improved his technique, but he gave them up and went his own way. He is now very proficient and not a lot daunts him. His mate, who carried on with the lessons, has really taken to it and is an excellent musician, especially ragtime kind of stuff, (think piano rags played on guitar), but can also belt out a rock tune with the best.
They are 17 now but played a few gigs together in proper venues as part of a band when they were younger.
I think you are also right about finding something your daughter wants to play, you would get much more out of it if you were playing something you liked rather than something you are told you have to play.
Also, get her to play in front of friends and family, dual purpose really as they very rarely criticise and more often encourage, this in turn inspires them to do more.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:31:30 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm a guitar teacher, and I know how utterly pointless learning in a group is. An instrument needs one-on-one tuition for any real chance of success (and obviously, the student needs to practice a lot). My main method is to always find out the particular music my student is interested in and use their favourite bands as learning tools.

Justinguitar.com is an amazing resource for learning by yourself. I also have my own YouTube channel in which I present songs specifically for beginners: LeftHandedGuitarist - YouTube

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:31:31 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi LHM.  Just checked out your youtube channel thanks to your link.  Absolutely love your My Sweet Lord, George Harrison lesson.  Excellent stuff.  One or two chords in there that might be a challenge for me, but certainly going to have a go at it.  Thank you very much

PS:  The left-handed chord charts are a nice little bonus for me too

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:31:32 Mobile | Show all posts
yeah another vote for Justin guitar ...and andy guitar

....though my 14 year daughter finds Justin guitar annoying !...they play his videos a lot in her music class!

...don't know why... he comes across as one of the good guys, who's probably got the patience of a saint

know I'm not a kid but I've learnt stacks of songs from both sites in the 3 months I've been playing.....which in turn I've been showing my daughter how to play !.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部