View: 117|Reply: 0

Remarkably faithful show

[Copy link]
20-5-2020 03:31:07 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I read part of the book in Grade 2.  Then I saw the series only recently. Naturally, I couldn't resist seeing the movie.  After a somewhat slow start, I found the movie to be somewhat enjoyable.

Now i have finally read the books and I must say this movie is the most faithful adaptation yet.

What happens (for those who haven't bothered to click the "plot summary" link for the entry) is this: Mildred Hubble has always been an underachiever at Cackles Academy.  And when she gets a tabby cat instead of the standard black cat, she finds herself on the receiving end of teasing from Ethel Hallow (the highest-ranking first year).  So she turns Ethel into a pig. After being reverted to human form, Ethel vows revenge.  And Mildred gets selected for her class's Hallowe'en presentation...in front of none other than the Grand Wizard (aka non other than the great Tim Curry).  SO Mildred is disgraced, Cackles is disgraced and it's about to be taken over anyhow.

And I have just given away the entire plot of the movie, without actually giving away any spoilers.

The plot also appears in episodes 3, 4 and 5 of the Worst Witch TV series (however it is altered--now Ethel's adventures as a pig include a trip to the farm and that part plays out as a separate story).

It's an excellent kids show, based on a still-enjoyable book series. However, one wonders why they didn't make movies of "Worst Witch Strikes Again" and "A Bad Spell For The Worst Witch"

score /10

Jusenkyo_no_Pikachu 29 August 2002

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0239370/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部