View: 173|Reply: 0

When Mercedes Benz arrived in America...

[Copy link]
9-10-2020 06:40:04 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Bear with this cranky old reviewer for a moment.

In the 1960s, Consumers Union, the only car magazine in America that actually purchased the cars they reviewed (and resold them after) got their hands on a Mercedes sedan. It was culture shock for all concerned. When the review hit the newsstands -- crammed in among raves for Firebirds and Mustangs -- the editors said that for the first time in their careers (the magazine had been out for well over a decade) they were obliged to give a perfect score ... because the car was ... perfect.

So here I go, pushing toward some 1000 reviews for the IMDb (for which I get a X-Mas card each year from the founder and heartfelt good e-wishes) and I too am compelled to give this series a perfect score.

Because -- and pardon me while I hide behind the complex technical lingo of the professional reviewer -- it is perfect.

From the opening sequence which riffs off a popular song, to the closing bit which riffs off that same song. Perfect.

To the acting, which makes Bruce Willis' performance in a similar American vehicle look like sleepwalking.

And most of all, the scripts. Scripts to die for. Scripts by Abi Morgan (of THE HOUR fame). Scripts so well constructed they could make even Steven Moffat have a rare moment of insecurity, and wonder if perhaps he should have become an accountant.

Perfect.

Just perfect.

score 10/10

A_Different_Drummer 30 November 2015

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw3364527/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部