View: 248|Reply: 0

Amusing...but not the genius creation the show was

[Copy link]
18-2-2021 00:42:08 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Not bad but...clearly either a case of too many cooks in the kitchen or massive studio interference marred what could have been a real blast of a comedy based on the cult favorite show MR. SHOW'S most enduring sketch.

After viewing the DVD's deleted scenes section is becomes very clear that a truly hilarious film does exist somewhere in there (including a much better ending, and a great rant by David Cross inspired by a similar one he did on the very first HBO episode of the t.v. show) but as it is the film is fun and occasionally very funny but often only passably amusing. Some inspired cameos, especially the one featured in the Broadway Musical rendition of Ronnie's life story which I will not spoil for you here, some nods to the stream of consciousness style of the show itself and of course all the familiar cast faces (Bob and David in particular) help elevate this endeavor, but as a long time fan who has seen every episode of the source of this movie, HBO's t.v. show "MR. SHOW", multiple times, I have to say the end result is a bit of a let down. Don't get me wrong, it's enjoyable, but it's hard not to wish another cut could be made that includes more of the cut material. That along with cutting a bit of David Koechner's part (and he is pretty funny here, like he usually is, but less would be more in this case), or maybe losing his narration altogether, would really put this flick up where it should be. A mistake early on in the general concept of the movie was made when Ronnie was made more likable than his television version. The film suffers a bit from sentimentality as a result and loses a lot of the MR. SHOW bite. This new sentiment could have still worked, however, if the cuts to Koechner's character and the reinsertion of the deleted scenes (including even more that's  featured in the trailer but aren't even in the deleted scene section) could have been made. Seeing how neither is even remotely likely, I'll just have to go on wishing, and enjoy the picture for what it is, a flawed attempt that is still a must see for fans. Here's to some alternate cut turning up one day, grainy and edgy...which is really the way MR. SHOW is meant to be anyway!

score /10

supercygnus 18 September 2003

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw0755652/

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部