View: 191|Reply: 1

There is such a thing as trying too hard...

[Copy link]
22-11-2019 11:51:32 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
After watching the first couple of episodes it seems clear to me one of the issues with the show is that it is rather schizophrenic - it's all over the place. This can sometimes be an effective form of storytelling if the pieces all work together nicely.

But in this case, the show almost seems directionless. I mean, what is the point? Drugs are bad? Some teens have sex? The internet is as much or more a dark, seedy place than it is a source of enlightenment? The show goes out of it's way to be graphic and in your face, but it's not clear if it's to show the viewer the perils of the lifestyle or just glorifies it for shock value. The message is muddled.

While there are definitely adolescents like the ones depicted in the show, it's pretty clear the show uses the same stereotypes and tropes about teens (they are angsty, rebellious, etc.) and generalizes too broadly.

And where are the parents? No doubt there are some parents that, for whatever reason (guilt, disinterest, weakness, etc.), let their kids do whatever they want. But really? Massive house parties at expensive houses with pools (and not a cop car in site, even for noise?) kids coming and going at will at all hours of the night? Complete lack of supervision, even when the parents are home? It happens. But on this scale? It's a little over the top.

I like Zendaya. I think she's a good, talented young actress and for the most part, she is ok in this role. I think she has the potential to be a great actress, but not yet. Her current range falls a bit short in trying to convince the audience she is a hard core addict, and I just have trouble buying it.

The rest of the performances are good, but not great. I can't say I've been blown away by anyone, but the performances themselves are fine.

The problem is the characters themselves. Almost none of them are likable, including the main characters. It's hard to sympathize and connect to characters you either don't like or don't care about. And here in lies the problem - I just don't care about the characters I should and I really hate the characters I can't stand. So, where is the investment then?

On the plus side, the cinematography is really good and sometimes even feels fresh and creative.

Overall though, despite all the hype, there's nothing groundbreaking happening here. Once you get past the shock value, the characters are rather flimsy, the plot lacks coherent direction, and the message is confusing.

score 5/10

pghfanforever 5 July 2019

Reprint: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4977429/

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Credits
16-5-2020 13:33:48 Mobile | Show all posts
stop fucking bitching
Reply Support 5 Not support 0

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register