12345Next
Back New
View: 819|Reply: 45

Undertaking on a dual carriageway

[Copy link]
24-11-2019 22:54:15 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I know there seem to be a few rozzers on this site, so I was hoping one of them might be able to clear something up for me. Or, of course, anyone else who knows what they're talking about.

I was under the impression that on a dual carriageway or motorway, if you're travelling on the inside lane and there's someone pootling along in the overtaking lane but not overtaking anyone, you're actually allowed to undertake as long as you don't change lane to do so - i.e. you maintain your current speed and pass on the inside. If you're in the same lane as them (or further to the right), then you're not allowed to pull over to the left and then pass them.

I was having a discussion with someone yesterday who was quite sure this wasn't the case, and having thought about it, I think they must be right - it would be pretty daft. So, does anyone have any idea where I may have picked this idea up from? I did live in Germany between the ages of 4 and 13, so might it be the case there?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:54:17 Mobile | Show all posts
I read exactly that on a forum recently (maybe AVF) but I don't know whether it stands legally.

The only circumstance where I'm sure it is, when lanes are for different routes before a sliproad or junction.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:54:17 Mobile | Show all posts
as discussed in The Motoring Forum

So yes, it can be done, but you would need to be able to argue that the road was congested.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:54:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Thread moved to the more appropriate home

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:54:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Also, the introduction to the Highway code contains this useful information:
So, as this is a "do not", then it is not automatically illegal to do so, but it could be used as evidence.  I guess (IANAL) that if you were in an accident when you overtook on the inside, then that fact could be used as evidence to prosecute you for an offence like dangerous driving.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:54:20 Mobile | Show all posts
This is discussed on the speed awareness course, it's not technically illegal, but it could be perceived to be dangerous in the wrong situation, and therefore earn you a ticking off from plod.

If you're going to do it, do it safely (I.e. consistent speed, maintain lane position, be ready and prepared to avoid someone pulling into your lane) and not like the morons I see weaving in and out to save themselves 2.35 seconds of travel time.

As @Imccauley says, the law and Insurance companies are likely to take a very dim view of someone not obeying the recommendations of the Highway Code in an incident.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:54:21 Mobile | Show all posts
That's a good way of putting it.

On the rare occasions that I decide to do it, I always take a moment to plan what I will do if the other car pulls into my lane - and don't do it if I can't think of a safe plan.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:54:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I always consider the type of vehicle in the right hand lane before I undertake.  If it's a lorry you have to be very careful as they have large blind spots.
I've seen cars get crushed or pushed on to the hard shoulder due to this.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 22:54:22 Mobile | Show all posts
An overtake must involve a lane change and possibly a speed change. There's nothing wrong in principal in doing what the OP described but I wouldn't get into the habit of doing this as there is a risk attached.
In fact I'd suggest only doing that on a motorway where there is a clear hard shoulder available for as far as is needed for the manoeuvre to escape into should the worst happen.
It's vital to consider that the person who is loitering in the outside lane (or middle) may suddenly 'wake up' or indeed deliberately move to the left. There are those among us who consider it their right to police us with their interpretation of the highway code.
There's no point in lying on a hospital bed saying " it was my right of way".

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 22:54:23 Mobile | Show all posts
Best place to do it is the inside lane of the 4-lane segments of the M25. For long stretches one can be the only one using it... One can stay at 70 and not change lanes for a couple of miles!

(if one were so inclined... Of course I prefer to sit in the queues in the other 3 lanes and observe the highway code in full!)

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部