Range Rover Sport (or similar)

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:42:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Bugger,  you're right.
Sorrento is the kia version, Santa fe is the hyundai.
Posting whilst chatting,  rookie mistake.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:42:32 Mobile | Show all posts
My head is exactly like the last few posts in here. One minute I'm all sensible and looking for a good deal, the next I am in full "mid life crisis" mode and say things like "you only live once" and "treat yourself old chap" Always been sensible with my cars...

@djbsom I really need to read more about cars like Santa Fe and Sorrento and Sportage. I was too busy dreaming about treating myself to research other cars. More research needed. Thanks

@gizlaroc For some strange reason, I have discounted FFRR as being too expensive and not within the budget, but you are right, they are within my budget. I'm just not sure whether they are within my maintenance budget That video I posted above has put me off a bit However, I went onto FFRR forums and indeed, quite a few people say that they are not as bad as their image is and few even say that except for regular service and wear and tear, they don't have to spend any more money on them. You owned a great collection of cars BTW Thanks

Off to do some more research

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:42:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Watch Harry Metcalfe's review of his 3.6 TDV8, arguably he has the finest collection of cars in the UK, so his praise for the TDV8 L322 should not be taken lightly.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Oh, and that is a pre facelift one, which is what I had, the facelift is even better.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Also, don't entirely discard the value of the emotional purchase. Yes it's important that your purchase is fit for purpose and is the maximum value possible.
IE it does the job at the least possible price etc etc
But there's a saying that I heard in my teens and I've taken to heart.
" it improves the quality of life beyond it's monetary value ".
There's no point in existing, we have to live too.
I could have a 24 inch TV on my lounge wall, that would do the job. But i work hard and enjoy motorsports so I've got a 65 inch 4k coupled to the best sound system in the village.
Sod it, I could perish in a terrible car crash tomorrow (certainly some of my pupils try their best).
If you want a V8 limo Range Rover laden with walnut and doeskin and you're not hurting anyone, buy the Range Rover. Get it out of your system. You may well end up with a good reliable family car.
No regrets.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:42:33 Mobile | Show all posts
The wife seems to be on-board when it comes to RR/RRS. She is not big fan of being in cars in general because she is always terrified of an accident. I showed her a few photos of RR and she likes the size and likes the safety.

She especially liked this photo showing RR next to normal cars (stolen from LLRR - apologies)

I have also went and checked official Euroncap rating and pre-09 models got 4 stars; 2012 model got 5 stars. Unless I missed it somehow, they have not tested any other RR.
Official Land Rover Range Rover 2012 safety rating results

TBH though, I'm not 100% sold on the size. I think RRS size would be a better fit for our family of 3. FFRR seems to be a bit... massive. When it comes to RRS image problem, I honestly couldn't care less.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:42:34 Mobile | Show all posts
The RRS is based on a Discovery 3 platform, it feels pretty old and dated to drive.
To be fair it felt a bit dated when back in 2005, some 13 years later even more so.
For some reason the FF RR just feels luxuriously wafty, it is not trying to be anything but.

RRS issues..
3.6 TDV8 eats turbos.
3.0 diesel can get seized engines.
2.7 diesel is just pants on a car that size.
4.2 and 5.0 will annoy you, filling up every 200 miles at £100 a pop gets tiring.

The issues with the FFRR are more like turbo hoses spilt, £100 fix or £50 is you do it yourself.
Water pumps leak, £200 fix.
Niggly things but nothing really major on later cars.

The FFRR I found easier to drive, and my wife loved it, said it was one of the easiest cars to drive as you are upright and can see every corner of the car, only issue is tight car parks.

Take one out and see what you think.

There isn't that much difference in size, the FF RR is just higher.

Use magic Report

I get the emotional purchase part of this request. For me I’ve always discounted those older range rovers and Range Rover sports as I find the interior and dashboard etc way too utilitarian for a “luxury” vehicle.

As someone said for another capable vehicle I’d look at an ML class. If you want that V8 the ML500 will provide that. But slightly more sensible the diesels are excellent. Or for something a bit of fun how about a VW Touareg V10 TDI Or as someone mentioned the Porsche Cayennes.

And if you want a tank that lasts and can do anything you throw at it, a Nissan Patrol GR is pretty awesome as well.

For your roads and potholes stay clear of big wheels.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The Range Rover is a completely different level luxury wise compared to the Mercedes, the Merc is not even close.

Until you have lived with both that sounds really odd, but the Range Rover really is a special place to sit.

Use magic Report

Current ones yes, but so is the GLS in the right version. The older ones that the OP is looking at are to me like a British Stately home. Look great and posh on the outside, but totally dated and in need of a refurb on the inside.

But hey we all like different things.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部