12345Next
Back New
Author: GrumpyOldGamer

VW Crash detection help (video added)

[Copy link]
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:44:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Let’s hope the old boy behind me in the 07 Kia has fast reactions when mine randomly brake checks him.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:44:36 Mobile | Show all posts
And this is the point entirely..  All well and good having tech forced on manufacturers that they have to implement although when its implementation is flakey and these automated systems can only'sense' possible trouble without seeing the entire picture the prognosis is rather grim!

It's great that 1% of vehicles on the road have this super ability.. it's the other 99% you have to worry about when all the thinking is being processed by humans.  In my situation I mentioned above, it would of simply taken poor weather conditions and a busy road for a major accident to have occurred, rather worrying really.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Would you also accept though, that you need to learn how to use autonomous features? Adaptive cruise is fantastic, as is Traffic Jam, but it's worth taking the time to learn how they work, so that you use them as an aid, not just an excuse to switch one's brain off. In the incident above, the system could have been defeated in less than a second by touching the throttle to indicate the driver was in control.

Autonomous braking is designed to mitigate an impact, so if it is applied for any reason and someone rear ends you, put simply, they were too close. They should have left enough room for the car in front to brake. Autonomous braking is no more effective that the foot brake.

Full autonomy will come. Suggesting sub standard sensors and penny pinching is a problem is IMHO something of a red herring. I remember the same arguments when ABS became standard, with people buying old spec vehicles because they could not or would not see the safety benefits of it and considered it just another thing to go wrong. According to NCAP, the AEB package costs about £80 to add to a typical car.

The Arizona accident - I assume your are discussing when the Uber XC90 hit a pedestrian was caused by the software recognising the hazard, but deciding not to act. That's poor programming without doubt, but the price of the sensors was not the issue. The LIDAR manufacturer issued a statement to the effect that the sensor would not have been able to map the road correctly if it had been faulty and without any doubt had "seen" the hazard. It was the software that sadly decided not to act.

Machine learning and swarm AI will make autonomous vehicles learn and share those experiences very quickly. It will never be a perfect system, but I think very quickly you will see true driverless vehicles. Ford, Volvo, Mercedes and a number of other mass market manufacturers have committed to them and they will drive the change. I firmly believe that within 5 years driverless cars will be in production and will have a better safety record than driven vehicles.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Just remember......skills, use them or lose them.

Think i’ll hang on to my non-crash detecting, non-emergency braking, non-self parking, non-lane assist, non-blah blah car for as long as possible.

Having DSC and TC is bad enough.

If the human brain isn’t engaged enough, it tends to wander. And if you’re driving that is a bad thing.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:44:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Who blips the throttle halfway round third gear corner you have just slowed for?
I’ve taken that corner multiple times a day, everyday for the last 25 years without issue.

Last November my car also slammed on when the vehicle in front drove over an empty Doritos share bag and flicked it up infront of the car, there’s no imminent warning for everyday situations and it’s simply unnatural in real world situations to behave like this on the road.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'm with you on this one..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Although I very much enjoy real unassisted driving - I use a 250BHP  Z4 with not even so much as cruise control on a daily basis, I think there is a place for driving aids as well. My Passat was much less tiring to drive and that can only aid concentration on longer trips.

In terms of safety features - as opposed to convenience, how far do you want to go? ESP, Traction Control, ABS, Power Steering, Power Assisted Disc Brakes, Independent Suspension... AEB needs to go into this category. It's not a convenience feature, it reduces the likelihood and severity of impacts and that can only be a good thing. Don't forget they are also mandating fitting it to HGVs and some coaches - and who hasn't seen the carnage that an uncontrolled truck can do if it strikes a line of stationary traffic.

I appreciate that tapping the throttle or pressing a button on the steering wheel to disengage an autonomous system is not a natural reaction, but that's only because of the way you we learned to drive - and quite possibly developed bad habits. The "correct" method of driving around a corner according to advanced driving practice is to adjust your speed before the corner, to apply gentle throttle through the first half of the turn to maintain a constant speed, compensating for the scrub and then accelerate out of the corner. Many people will brake before and during the corner and not accelerate until they have completed the turn. Nothing wrong with this at slow speed, but at speeds closer to the limit, you risk over or under steer and unsettling the car. It's therefore good practice to learn the proper technique and use it as the rule, not the exception.

For business travel, I am looking forward to autonomous cars. The ability to work while travelling - or just to look out the window, but not to be crammed into a bus or train really appeals to me.

Use magic Report

Author| 24-11-2019 23:44:37 Mobile | Show all posts
I applied the “correct” method on the corner I’ve take a thousand times, in this case the car failed.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:44:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Have you taken it in yet? The car simply shouldn’t do that.

And I agree with noisyboy the right way is to apply throttle and accelerate away. So perhaps, just perhaps if you take it in and they don’t find anything wrong it could be a driving style issue. On the VW forums there have been many a discussion about that, both the system for collision avoidance and especially how you can control the DSG with your right foot.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:44:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Watch the first video with Garry Kasparov, at around 18 minute mark.....Essentially computers can now code themsleves better/quicker and the less human interfrance in that process the better. We are now the limting step, Skynet in the real world here we come                                                                                                                                                 .

Train AI TRAIN AI 2018 Presentations | Figure Eight

It appeaes neural net development has taken a massive jump last 12 months. The coding/problem solving ability of neural nets is already super man in specific cases.

But don't confuse the current very very very very dumb driving aids with the stuff Uber, Google etc are testing. Though due to the inherent coding efficiency of neural networks its likely we'll see real world applications very quickly.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部