12345Next
Back New
Author: GrumpyOldGamer

VW Crash detection help (video added)

[Copy link]
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:44:38 Mobile | Show all posts
It was supposed to be going in on Monday but VW now tell me they don’t have a courtesy car available so it’s been put back to July 9th!
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:44:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Ouch, I must admit I do find that the annoying thing about VW Services. I've used 4 different dealers out of 3 different networks, but all are the same. When you need a courtesy car you have to book way into advance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:44:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Just to be clear, I am not criticising your driving style, but equally I don't think there is anything wrong with the car. I will reiterate that new driving aids sometimes need a little driver retraining. It's like ABS. If it activates you should keep your foot hard down, while in a non ABS car wheel lock-up is reduced by cadence braking or releasing some brake pressure. Do this in an ABS car and you reduce the braking effectiveness.

As I said in my first post, at the time of detection, I think your car was on a collision course with the vehicle turning right. The car has no way of knowing that the line around the corner will naturally tighten up and that no action was required. What if you were also turning right, but had approached at  too high a speed, or the corner was a continuous curve, or the left hand lane was blocked? These simple systems cannot learn or anticipate every scenario - which is why they can be overruled.

Once data sharing and sensor fusion becomes commonplace, these errors will reduce. Imagine if the cars were communicating and the car in front informed your car that it was stationary, but there was space on the inside to pass and the road in front was clear. The car could then safely pass without any warnings sounding.

I will be interested in the findings. There's a good chance they will re-calibrate the system, just to restore some of your confidence in it but I doubt there is actually a genuine fault.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:44:39 Mobile | Show all posts
I've had to get my system recalibrated 3 times now on the Volkswagen, yet never on the Mercedes. Whilst I think it is useful, I don't like the location of the sensor on VW. It is too sensitive to being hit by rocks, or too powerful pressure washers, or other cars with towbars in supermarkets. My bracket was broken twice as well.

And the margins are pretty slim on it.

Use magic Report

The cruel version of that is "Artificial intelligence creates natural stupidity."

Use magic Report

Please don't be offended but it is massively more complex than that.
For example, there will be and have been recently avoidable fatalities because current features in the likes of Tesla vehicles are over sold e.g. calling their system Autopilot.
Then the state of the technology has a long way to go. The artificial intelligence used to take better pictures with your phone is nothing like the AI required for a full class five automated car because that requires the abilities to make inferences about the outside world and in turn that becomes almost impossible without contextual knowledge.
I would say 15-20 years for what people think self driving cars are.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I hope to goodness it never becomes standard in all cars as I like to drive my car with me making the decisions. Reading the above posts just confirm that the autonomous systems need a lot of perfecting.

Use magic Report

I work at a semiconductor startup acquired by Nvidia for a few years, it failed because of dirty tricks by a competitor and a lot of the folks from there are in a new startup working in IPUs (Intelligence Processor Units) for AI use like this.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The Passat has the sensor built into the badge. I think this is better than the Golf, but maybe the Mercedes and Volvo model of building them into the grille is preferable.

Use magic Report

24-11-2019 23:44:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Or simply fixing when it's faulty

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部