Author: malk

Passat lost power/acceleration

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:54:21 Mobile | Show all posts
So, N75 all ordered, just got to suss out where it is in the engine, i think its behind the plastic turbo pipe/ tubing,  on the left at the top of the engine...
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:54:22 Mobile | Show all posts
Bit off topic, but IG,,, i watched "Ready player one", its got the Iron Giant in it, when i saw him, i thought of AVF!!!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:54:22 Mobile | Show all posts
I must catch that film at some point

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:54:23 Mobile | Show all posts
You just eliminated the MAF as your problem, unplugged and running badly means the MAF is ok. If it ran good then it would be faulty...It's the standard quick way of checking a MAF sensor.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:54:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Well, thats one good thing, all them little air pipes, look right awkward to swap out....
Not as bad as PROPERLY cleaning a turbo.
Ill have to take the OTHER side of the turbo off to clean it, i think the exhaust side?
Ive seen these turbo spray cleaners, and everyone reckons, its not the real dirty side, thatll be where its really hard to get to , ....makes sense...GRRRRRRRR
I hope it dosent come to that, ive a dodgy feeling though....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:54:24 Mobile | Show all posts
I just remembered this......

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:54:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Yup, that's what I'm looking at also,...
Should be ok, undo egr pipe, squirt, wait, fiddle with actuator, run in.
I've also been told I should unplug egr vacuum hose, and plug the hose.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 24-11-2019 23:54:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Hello again!!
I trust youve been enjoying the rather rare sunshine.
So, back to the sticky turbo vanes...
After removing the EGR pipe, to the silver hat, and bunging it up with a tight screw, i didnt notice any more power loss.
So, i was thinking to leave it at that, but ive been obsessing over the vanes for a couple of weeks now, and just had to see it through.
Yesterday, i went to Asda, got mr muscle,£2.50, found an old can of WD40, took off the lid with the built in straw, managed to get hold of some 5mm tubing, about 30-50 cms, and electrical taped that onto the WD40 tube, on the Mr Muscle can.
I raised the car up onto a pair of lift tripods, to get under the engine.(after taking off the undertray, and top engine cover.).
Located the EGR pipe that goes on to the rear of Turbo,.
I did think about undoing the 3 bolts that hold the exhaust directly on the turbo, and squirt in there, but the bolts were so tight, i didnt want to snap them off.( penetrating oil and a metal tube for leverage wouldve been good here).
I removed the air box, as it was right in the way, and went about removing the 4 bolts on the EGR pipe.
The top 2 bolts(left of pipe), are Allen bolts, and i could get 1 off, but the other, nearest the engine block, was A) Proper tight, and no room for moving, and                                                                                                                                                  i couldnt really get to it.
So, i thought i would undo the other end bolts, which are just normal spanner/ socket nuts, 13mm,(i think).
These 2 came off a bit easier, but still, a major pain, and i didnt have any penetrating oil.
After a few scrapped knucks, they were off, but i still couldnt remove the 2nd bolt from the top part of the pipe, so, i carefully pulled the part i had got the bolts off, untill there was enough room to get my lil pipe down.
i went down quite far, and when i was sure it was A) going the right way,B) as far as it will go, i continued to give the Mr Muscle a good squirt, not too much at a time, as it foams alot!!
I also went under the car, to get at the actuator, which, TBH, wasnt very sticky , there was a bit of resistance, but not stuck, and it moves quite easily now.
When i could see the foam apperering out of the EGR gap, i removed the hose that is attached to Mr Muscle can.
I then put back the nuts and bolts , and wiggled the EGR pipe back on to its place, i got the car back together, making sure that all the pipes and hoses were still connected, and EGR pipe still had its screw down it.
After 1 hour, i had to take the missus to work, and was dying to see if any black soot or gunk would come flying out the exhaust, so i started her up, and gave a few healthy revs, all seemed fine.
Took her out, again, with a bit of a heavy right foot, and again, all semmed sweet, nice and smooth, nice acceleration.
So, as of today, she seems to be ok, running well, nice acceleration, no power loss, no black smoke, i think even the fuel economy has gone up, getting more numbers on the dash for average MPG.
All in all, it was a pain to do, i wish i had the penetrating oil, and i wish i had a bit of metal tubing for extra leverage on the Allen keys, and spanner.
I think i might have another go next weekend, with the bits i missed this time, and wait even longer for Mr Muscle to work a bit more.
So, it is doable, even if its bodge job like mine.
Them 4 bolts...GRRRRRRRR....
Thank you again you guys, without you lot, id still be stuck, or be using a garage and paying out,thank you so much.
Malc.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:54:26 Mobile | Show all posts
See you have had a lot of advise allready but I hope I can help you but need to askanfew questions first

Does the engine rev out to the red line when not driving and sat in park ?
Just give it a quick full throttle rev just 1-2 sec like an MOT test would be

If you remove the engine cove you can see with a torxh on the left of the engine the turbo actuator arm if you get someone to start the car watch the arm see if it moves then moves back when you turn the engine of let me no what it does

You say you get no smoke that would telt me that the EGR is not stuck open, the intake system has not got any bad leaks both them would give lots of bad black smoke when accelerating.

But the fact you say there is no smoke I would say could have a lack of fuel or: blocked fuel filter as then old diesels do smoke when reved and under hard accelerating

The stop flap tends to jam shut also but this has been mentioned I think before

Let me no what u find

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
24-11-2019 23:54:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Well done

Strangely we had a problem on my son's Passat TDi yesterday...engine light on and code for EGR valve, lack of power etc. We traced it to a hole in the vacuum pipe...new vac pipe and all is well

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部