Please select To the mobile version | Continue to access the desktop computer version
12345678910Next
Back New
Author: bluevortex

Michelin Crossclimate

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:06:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Looking into it, it seems Michelin don't want it described as an all season tyre as they are generally neither one thing or the other.  This is supposed to be the first genuinely "dual-season" (my phraseology) tyre.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:06:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm looking forward to some real reviews, ie, these are brilliant in snow, or these tyres are crap in snow before making a decision to buy them. Hopefully any of the white stuff will just make the tops of the mountains look pretty and leave me well alone. I'll probably need a new set of boots sometime in late spring by which time there should be some real world comments.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:06:10 Mobile | Show all posts
There are other options do the same thing.
Here's a test conducted on tarmac/wet/snow.
I may consider one of these for the wife's car instead, as the crossclimates aren't available in 205/55/17.

All-season tyres test 2015: top all-weather tyres tested

The Nokian weatherproof gets a very good review.
Stunning on snow and in deep water, and about the same as the others everywhere else.
Must admit I thought Nokian were a Chinese/Vietnamese make, but they are Finnish and have a snow test track there.
I won't discount them like I used to any more.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:06:11 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

FZR - I'm shocked.

Nokian are the dugs dangly bits.

Just about to order a new set - this will be my fourth, there have been plenty of times I'd have been stuck if I wasn't running them.

Joe.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Happy enough with the Pirelli Sottozeros I buy used, so no real reason to investigate Nokian and get past my assumption they were from the Far East.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:06:12 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been thinking about these CrossClimates for a few months. Almost all the editorials on them seem to be rehashed puff-pieces from Michelin so I was somewhat sceptical. And the petrol head forums are like here for hifi. You know, deeply nerdy!

I have a car in France which I use regularly in the Pyrenees - a Peugeot Partner. Up until last year, I'd always just used standard summer tyres and used snow chains in the winter mountains. But last year, a chain broke at night and wrapped itself round the hub and brake disk. It was a horrible job having to jack the car up on snow at night in freezing conditions. Luckily the chain hadn't damaged the brakes or brake line but it was an hour of nasty work which I didn't want to repeat. So on my return home, I searched through the breakers' network sites and found a set of four steel wheels for €60 and promptly fitted ContiWinterContacts.

I was blown away by how incredibly good they are. They feel a bit different on dry roads - softer, but probably the same as summer tyres in summer. And you can feel they grip better in the cold and wet. They feel more "gritty" somehow. But it's in the snow where they come into their own. I haven't had to use chains since. On cold dry snow, they grip extraordinarily well. You can brake really quite hard without even a hint of ABS. They will slip and slide on slush over ice but even studded snow tyres will do that sometimes.

This revelation got me thinking about my UK car, a 307 estate. We like to think of the UK as having very variable weather. But in reality it's actually very mild compared to most other places, especially in southern England. Not too hot, not too cold, a bit of rain, occasional ice and snow. The range isn't much, it's just somewhat unpredictable.

But still, I hate tiptoeing round the country back roads where many of my clients are when we do get a bit of snow and ice. If it snows, I can barely get my car out of my drive on its summer Michelins. And it's hardly any incline at all. Having now used proper winter tyres, I am very conscious that the tyres I have are not fit for purpose in winter conditions.

So I looked into all season tyres. I was not impressed by the reviews, it being quite obvious that even the best ones were a major compromise in most conditions, dry summer grip in particular. Dedicated winter tyres for Hampshire seemed like overkill and storage is a problem. So, like most people, I sort of gave up until winter came around again. Not there has been much winter here so far, not of the cold variety at least.

But I then read a couple of reviews about the CrossClimates and later the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons Gen 2. Not the previous Goodyears as they were traditional all seasons tyres. These 2nd generation tyres are more like the CrossClimates in that they are summer tyres that do a pretty decent job in the winter. Of course most of the reviews were rehashed PR but there are a few nuggets out there from the likes of AutoBild that seem to point to a genuinely new type of tyre that behaves pretty much like the summer equivalent in grip, noise and wear but that can actually cope with colder conditions and snow.

Sounds ideal. So I ordered four of the Michelins from Black Circles and will have them fitted next week. I will try to come back with an initial overview soon and then a more detailed review later.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Still no snow, but it's forecast for Wednesday-Friday here so I might actually appreciate the investment getting the kid to and from school on cross country B and C roads.
I can say that in the current temperatures 5-10C and wet all the time they've behaved as well if not better than the previous Goodyear Excellence run flats.  My partner took the MINI out for the first time in months yesterday - wet, mild - she said they felt good and she wasn't hanging around apparently.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'm getting a new car next week, and I've asked Audi to replace the stock tyres with CrossClimates.  I live in Belgium where the weather is more or less the same as the south of England (we had snow last night!), but I also usually drive down to go skiing each year, so I need to have winter tyres for that.  I think that the CrossClimates will be a perfect all-year tyre for my needs because it's a pain having two sets of tyres as I do now, getting the garage to swap them twice a year and storing a set at home where they take up a lot of space.

I can't yet give an opinion on their performance, but I have a colleague who has fitted them a few months ago to his car (a people carrier of some sort, because he has 5 kids!), and he said that he's very happy with them so far.  I'll have to ask him how they coped with the snow this morning!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Looking at Michelin's website they don't do the CrossClimates above 17". Is that right?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部