Orlando recommendations

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 00:36:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Lots of good advice cheers.

At the moment it will have to be summer because of other commitments. The first decision is whether we use the shuttle buses or get a car, I have no real preference and seems a mixed view so far.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:36:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Even some shuttles are costly.  (And some are "free" i.e. included in room rates or resort fees).  In any case, with a tiny specific set of exceptions, the schedules deny you any flexibility to plan your day - one or two trips each way is typical.  

The really cheap way to travel is using the city bus system.  Weekly pass $16 for unlimited use.  Serves most (but not all) likely hotel strips etc., and all the main attractions.  Frequencies mostly every 30 minutes or better; service hours early till very late, again depending on the where.  (Last bus from Disney at midnight every day of the year, for example).

The reason for doing this would be primarily huge cost saving.  If that's not a factor then rent a car or use taxis.

Choose where to stay with bus routes in mind, if you intend on this approach.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 00:36:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Cheers @LV426 - will have a look into that. Couple of questions, I can imagine the bus queue late at night when Disney fireworks etc have finished .. what are they like in reality?

Secondly, how much is to park at the main attractions?

Thanks a lot

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:36:25 Mobile | Show all posts
Get a car....and from what I can remember the parking was free at all the theme parks, and I did every one.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 00:36:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Parking at Disney is most certainly NOT free - except for WDW resort guests. Last time I looked it was $20 per day.  For that fee (which you can't readily avoid) you can move your car between WDW attractions, within the day.  (Admissions that allow you to enter >1 attraction are a separate thing).  Similar daily fees apply at Universal, Sea World, etc.

I have never seen any report of a bus from WDW leaving people behind, nor have I experienced it on the (admittedly rare) occasion I have been out so late.  I can't speak for how busy they get, but they do run these massive articulated ("bendy") buses on the WDW route, they do carry standees when necessary, and they run every 30 minutes right up until midnight - again, depending on where you stay.

City buses don't extend to anything Everglades-like, to either of Florida's coastlines, nor to KSC.  You'd need to book on a combined bus/attraction trip for these.  You can get to Gatorland by city bus, as well as numerous shopping opportunities.

The optimum place to stay for as easy as possible bus access to as much as possible is by Sea World.  Look at an online map for Sea Harbor Drive, look at what accommodations there are nearby.  Sea Harbor Drive is the intersection of several "useful" bus routes - airport, Disney, shopping, Universal (with a short walk) etc.

If you want a specific recommendation - Staybridge Suites - book a 2-bedroom suite; can self-cater; free breakfast daily; free evening booze and snacks 3 days a week.  Suites have one room with two big beds and one room with one huge bed, each ensuite, with a combined lounge/kitchen (with utensils etc) in between.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
We used the I-ride to get close to universal then walk the rest.
Use the shuttle on the morning to get to Disney, then if we wanted to leave a different time get a bus or taxi back.
Seaworld is also on the I-ride route.
The shopping malls we just jumped on the bus.

John..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
LV426 is spot on their about the parking. It is definitely not free. It is flexible though in that it allows you to leave and come back that day. So, say you go early to a park, then leave for food or to do something else, you can then go back at night to watch the light shows and not have to pay again to park.

I suppose you are having to weigh up the flexibility of having your own villa and car to do what you want when you want, against a hotel and bus which would may be a lot more restrictive but perhaps offer cost savings.

International Drive is great to visit for places to eat and mini golf, but for me it is far too busy as somewhere to stay. After spending a day at a park with thousands of other people, it's one of the best things to drive back to your quiet villa and maybe have a quick dip in the pool and relax.

When you do go to the parks, a packed lunch is essential. The food is crap really compared to the rest of Disney, it's basic fast food but at a ridiculously high price. A family of four could easily spend £50 a day on food and drink in the parks. Take a water bottle as there are many stations where you can top it up for free.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 00:36:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Car all the way for me. Standing in the heat waiting for a bus after a long day out its not something I'd recommend. Jump in the car AC on and straight back to your digs or somewhere to eat. But each to their own.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'll see you out there!

Unless you're staying at Disney you'll definitely want a car..look at Auto Europe, they were by far the cheapest and use Dollar Rentals. You can cope without but it'll be a far more limited experience.

It is hot and humid, but it really isn't that bad...my wife was 7 months pregnant out there in August 2015 and she coped. You just need to be clever with staying hydrated and using shops' air con.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
That's a damn good point actually. I can't imagine anything worse than having to wait in a long queue in the sweltering heat after enjoying a day at Disney when you will be knackered anyway. As you say jumping straight into your air conditioned car and going back to your villa or somewhere to eat is much better.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部