Author: Theydon Bois

What book are you reading at the moment Pt2

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I read that as part of a '20s University Module many years ago, enjoyed it so much that I've re-read it a couple of times since. Not a whodunnit fan in general but it always has me gripped.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:47 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm part way through a re-read of Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  I'm up to Book 6 - Lord of Chaos.  It's in preparation of the last book that will hopefully be released at the end of this year.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Hmm.  That's one of her most unusual books, so it's a slightly atypical one to pick as your first Agatha Christie.  Try one of the Poirot ones next if you enjoy that one!

I'm reading "Why I am not a Muslim" at the moment by Ibn Warraq (although somehow I don't think that's his real name!).  For light relief, last night I wanted to pick up a comic book and my eyes alighted on "Showgirl" by Steve Martin (yes, that one).  Two short chapters in, I was bored out of my mind and so I decided to reread "The Gun Seller" by Hugh Laurie (yes, that one!).  Much, much better - it's very obviously written by someone who is genuinely very clever (lots of deft comic touches) as opposed to someone who's trying too hard to be clever, which was the impression left by the Steve Martin book.

I hope Hugh Laurie goes back to writing novels when he's finished with House!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:49 Mobile | Show all posts
It is a Poirot (or at least my copy is!)
We have subscribed to the Agatha Christie part series as the wife enjoys them as well. You get a nice hardback version with repro of the dust jacket from the first edition and an interesting enough magazine for your £5.99. The books are available generally in a very similar edition but not such good value. Murder on the Orient Express is next.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Ah yes, I forgot - I was thinking too much about the unusual first person narrator!  Enjoy the others...

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Finished it on the train this morning and thought it was excellent. I did find the narrator unusual but had no frame of reference, this being the first one I've read.

Am looking forward to Murder on the Orient Express but first I'm going to read Revelation by C.J. Sansom, which has been sat on my Kindle for a few weeks now.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:51 Mobile | Show all posts
Started reading The Bourne Ultimatum again this morning.

I read The Bourne Identity, Supremacy and half of Ultimatum last year. They were very intense reading back to back so I stopped about a third of the way into Ultimatum. So started reading it again today since I finished the Song of Ice and Fire saga (so far) (which I also read back to back) last night. Looking forward to to finale of the Bourne saga.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I read The Gun Seller last year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it I thought it got better the further along it went, actually.  Maybe I just grew fonder of the characters.

I've just finished The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins (wanted to read them ahead of next month's film release).  Absolutely cracking series - and this definitely got stronger as it went on.  Clear, direct writing, plenty of action, great characters, and strong plotting.  Thoroughly recommended.  Also extremely violent for what is a YA series.

Can't decide what to read next - will either be The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey, The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach, or Pure by Julianna Baggott.  Or maybe The Marriage Plot by Jeffrey Eugenides.

Decisions, decisions.

And everyone should go off and read The Fault in our Stars by John Green, because it's unutterably brilliant.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:05:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I think it's a book I wouldn't mind reading at some point, but wouldn't pay to read it... so only if I found a copy in the library.

I've read two books on my kindle since I got it in January, William C. Anderson's Taming Mighty Alaska: an RV Odyssey and Jerome K. Jerome's Three Men In a Boat. Taming Mighty Alaska was a very interesting read but was packed with awful typographic errors (TVail instead of trail occurred a lot and there were oodles of other really obvious ones) so I'm glad it was free as I'd have been livid if I'd paid for it - they're charging £5.86 for it now! Three Men In A Boat was hilarious, much more so than I thought it would be - I found myself really laughing out loud explosively at a number of points in the book. Very highly recommended, especially since it's available for free.

Currently am reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens (not that I really needed to add the author to that one!), which took a little bit of acclimatising to after Three Men... but is really starting to grip me. I've read a little Dickens before, A Christmas Carol and other shorts in the 'Christmas Books' but this is the first proper Dickens novel I've read.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:05:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Having slagged off the Twilight Series in some previous posts.  I picked up The Hunger Games at the weekend, yes i know it isn't part of the Twilight series or even written by the same author but it is similarly a love triangle written from the first person perspective of a female heroine.  What a bloody good book it is too, i am about 100 pages from the end and looking forward to picking up the next 2 books in the trilogy ASAP.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部