12Next
Back New
View: 557|Reply: 18

Classic comics and magazines thread

[Copy link]
25-11-2019 04:13:00 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Which were your favourite comics and magazines of yesteryear?

Cheeky, Whizzer & Chips and Roy Of The Rovers for me but I'm hoping that this thread may unearth some forgotten treasures.

And who can forget the variety of free gifts on offer - maybe tell us what was the most useful free toy you can remember?

To get started I compiled this memory-jogger:

Some well-known ones there but I'm interested in the forgotten ones!

Post your memories here please!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:13:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Whizzer and Chips for me until I progressed on to Eagle, 2000AD, Judge Dredd The Megazine, and most of the related titles. For free gifts Dandy or The Beano always seemed to be best as they tended to have a bar of Highland Toffee or something similar stuck to the front.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:13:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Highland toffee! And Lucky Bags were something you might have afforded as well as comics.

I never read 2000AD or the like but have just thought of a smaller mag about soldiers and war, I think it may have been called Commando, I read that sometimes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:13:02 Mobile | Show all posts
I’d forgotten about lucky bags. A handful of sweets and a disappointing toy yet I thought they were great. Surprised that Commando is still going as my dad used to read it when he was a kid.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:13:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Whizzer and Chips, Cheeky, Commando, 2000ad and Scream, think the latter two turned me into the discerning chap I am now

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 04:13:03 Mobile | Show all posts
I was reminded this morning in another forum here about Shoot! magazine and those old football league ladders!

Use magic Report

My dad came home with a Beano and Dandy one day, held them behind his back, and me and my brother picked one at random, and from that day on I was hooked.

I got the Beano, and when this was repeated later with Whizzer and Chips and Whoppee, I got Whoppee. I was 6, 7? at the time. By the time I was 10, I had more than a 1000 comics. I know this as my mum got me a roll of stickers from work, little dots that I numbered them all with. I was going to all the school jumble sales and church fates and any place that I could pick up old comics from.

I picked up Cheeky, Beezer, Cor, Buster etc.....the stacks I had were nearly as high as me.

Then we moved at the time I went to secondary school and the whole lot where dumped (I dont recall where though?) but if you find a british comic from the 70/80's with a little coloured sticker with a seemingly random number on it in the top right hand corner....

At secondary school, I used to go and knock for my mate on the way to school. He had loads of 2000AD, and then I started getting them. I then got the scary one with Dracula and the fangs when that came out - I think I re-bought them again (Scream!) a few years back. I sold all my 2000AD at the time, and I had a lot....but then subsequently rebought them again.

I also have bought a stack of Beano's - I think I have the years 82-85? I really need a sort out....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I seem to be bought the comics I preferred there sister publication (grass is greener?) I got the Dandy but got to swap with the girl at the end of the street on Saturday mornings with the Beano. I also got Topper and The Tiger although preferred  Beezer and The Lion which had Robot Archie in also The Spider which of all things last night going though some old stuff found 2 The Spider novels.

When I bought my own before getting into American comics was The Valiant, which had Steel Claw who had a metal hand which when touching electricity turned invisible apart from the steel hand, Kelly's Eye who had an amulet that made him invulnerable.
Mytek the Mighty about a giant gorilla.

I remeber getting one famous comic (name eludes me right now)which had complete short story's in words rather than pictures although would add one pic to illustrate something e.g. someone was setting fires in forest and they could not fathom how they were setting them, and they showed a drawing of a clear plastic bag filled with water to act as a magnifying glass to start some kindle.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I used to have "Battle" "Warlord" and "2000AD"

Battle Picture Weekly - Wikipedia

Warlord (DC Thomson) - Wikipedia

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No love for TV21?

It mainly adapted Gerry Anderson shows into comic form but the Daleks were in there too.

Bri

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部