View: 2039|Reply: 179

Anyone here collect 1st/1st signed editions?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 04:20:52 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I know this has been mentioned in some other threads, but I wondered how many people here collect 1st/1st/limited/signed editions?  

I'm just starting out down this route, but as I love books and love hardbacks I'm thinking...why not?

I must admit though, for me this is a bit of a minefield.  I'm not really looking to buy expensive books, although this may be impossible to avoid as initially I'm going to start collecting my favourite authors, such as Bernard Cornwell, Robin Hobb, Joe Abercrombie, Conn Iggulden etc etc.

What's so difficult to judge though, is how much some of these are worth?  e.g. I missed out on a Bernard Cornwell hardback on ebay which went for £5.50, but the same title is on buy-it-now with other sellers for up to £29.99   Bizarre...is this just luck of the draw?

I managed to win this today too:  Ian M Banks/ Signed First edition / Look to Windward / 2000 | eBay

£5 sounds really cheap for a 12 year old first edition from this author, and maybe it is, or maybe it isn't?  

If anyone could give any advice on collecting moderns it would be much appreciated

The other question I have is around dustjacket protection.  When you see photos of hardback collections they all look like they're shrink wrapped.  Can anyone suggest what I should buy (and where from) to protect these?  And how easy is it to cut/apply etc?

Finally, I was thinking of joining Goldsboro Books book club, has anyone else done this or done anything similar?  Some nice editions coming up on their website

Any advice, thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:20:53 Mobile | Show all posts
It can be expensive especially when you 'miss' an author and then realise you want the books. I came late to Joe Abercrombie, but picked up the first and second books 'cheap' for about £30ea at a time when most were £100ea.

I got mine signed and lined when I met him and I have seen them go for £250  ea
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:20:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Theydon

How much would a mint Red Seas under Red Skies cost?  1st/1st, signed and dated, fine/fine?

If you could answer my other questions it would be much appreciated   I only know of you and Nick "Mr Gemmell" who collect signed editions

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:20:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Mine is not lined but I think it was about £30 at the time then I happened across a copy in my Forbidden Planet for £15.

Edit: Couple of signed hardbacks on eBay at £40 or £50 and a sld version is £100

Edit2: Both the £40 and £50 are half price for three days only.

Use magic Report

Back at a computer rather than on my iPhone now, so I can be a bit more eloquent.

My first bit of advice is unless you are very well off to the point in which money has no meaning, never collect for value, always for pleasure. Grab the author you like and grab his old books and collect those. Bloody hell, I still dont own all the Gemmell books, and I like to think I am his second biggest collector (after Nick ) Other authors I have picked up along the way, normally as I mentioned after the first book - in fact I cant think of a time in which I bought a (unknown or new author's) book and then found it had gone up in value by being popular/rare, its always the other way round.

Scott Lynch, Abercrombie, Iggulden of which I have all 1st's, all came from liking the books or having them recomended and then the thrill fo hunting down the books you need to then start buying hardback versions of that author in the future.

Sounds like you picked up a bargin Prices are always difficult. My own little Gemmell website was purely there to track costs to give me an idea of prices for conditions. Depending on how badly you want an edition, there are multiple editions as well - a 1st paperback > a trade papaerback > hardback, then all the variations in between such as condition or signed. You will soon settle into watching ebay, some Amazon sellers or Abebooks for editions you want and picking up average prices based on a version of the book you want. Then try and pay less for it.

I have a few books that are bagged, and I will probably start to do more, but they just dont look right. my comic collection is completely bagged so not sure what my reservation is tbh. To bag them try 2000AD sized comic bags and then use magic tape.

Do you mean the stuff used at Librarys though? Like this?

CLEARSLEEVE DUSTJACKET COVER PROTECTOR BOOK 10M X 270MM | eBay

I have a roll from my library that I will be testing soon, which will protect the dust jacket, but not the tops of the book from dust etc.

If I think of anything else, or you have more questions, let me know!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:20:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Well I've been buying a few books, and this is addictive

I love books, but getting the first couple of 1st/1st signed through the door makes them that little bit more special.  Which is rather strange considering the disposable nature of books now (e-readers, paperbacks for a pound etc etc).

Rather stupidly I put in an offer on Red Seas Under Red Skies (1st/1st UK HD, signed and dated, mint condition) which was up at £80.  Didn't think it would be accepted but it was - £45.  No idea if that's good or not, but I'm sure the first one will set me back even more   

Bought a few others (spent over £300)...so no more for me for a while.  I need to restrict it to one author at a time I think, as I'm discovering more and more authors as I delve into this....

Do you not use any form of dustcover protectors on yours then?  I was looking at this type of thing:  30 Pack Brodart Fold-On Book Jacket Covers -- Popular Pack -- Clear Mylar | eBay

Edit:  this is more like it:  http://www.care4books.com/packaging/page.asp?type=cat&pid=1&cid=1

Use magic Report

Stupid? Why? If you are happy with it, then thats the right price. £45 seems fine to me for that. Think of it that the book on release would cost you £14-18, so adding another £30 for the combination of it being signed, in fine condition and purchasing it a few years after release is a fair price.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 04:20:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I say stupidly as when I posted that I thought I could have got it cheaper, but based on my conversations with the seller afterwards that was his bottom line!

One thing I've learnt already is that for sale prices should be taken with a pinch of salt.

How much do you think I should pay for a flat signed mint Locke Lamora, 1st/1st?

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:20:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't really keep up to date with books I have already, but at a rough guess approx £100? And hope to pay less I will have a look about at lunchtime.

Edit: A few here:

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/SearchResults?bi=h&kn=Locke Lamora&sgnd=on

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENTLEMAN-BASTARD-1-THE-LIES-OF-LOCKE-LAMORA-SCOTT-LYNCH-NEW-SIGNED-HB-1-1-/160835763200?pt=Fiction&hash=item25728efc00

.....but watch the publisher as there are US versions as well. (I need to check mine now!) but the UK one is Gollancz. It may make no difference to you at all, and it does look like both the UK and US versions were released in 2006.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 04:20:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Also, I always ask for loads of photos - typically cover, bottom edge, open edge, top edge. One persons fine/near fine is another persons good and you may accept a corner ding due to shelf wear but a small imperfection to the dust jacket in the centre is a no-no.

The below are an example of some recent pics I got, which meant I am looking elsewhere as I am not happy with the 'lay' of the book, nor the slight pen mark on the pages.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部