Author: reevesy

beginners guitar player thread

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:06:37 Mobile | Show all posts
I do use that excellent site and I am following the course, more or less.

My issues are self discipline, impatience and motivation. I keep jumping ahead before I'm ready and looking elsewhere, trying to force things to develop quicker.

Futile really, when I know I just need to continue putting the time in on Justin's.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:06:37 Mobile | Show all posts
I've been playing three years now and I've still got the same problems as you

I keep spreading the word about Justin, but I'm guilty myself of not following the beginners course. Not properly at any rate. I just dip in from time to time, but then get distracted and move on to something else.

I keep promising I'll sit and properly learn songs, pick one and stick with it until I can play it properly, but as soon as it starts to get even slightly challenging, rather than sticking with it, I find myself moving on to the next "must learn" song

That's why I find my proper paid for lessons, with a real teacher invaluable. Keeps me focused, because if I don't practice, it's my own time and money I'm wasting.

It's still much easier to load up Rocksmith than do proper practice a lot of the time

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:06:38 Mobile | Show all posts
I work funny times so get time off in the day so practice quite a bit....as the guitar sits there i find myself always picking it up for 10 mins

think trouble is ...there are loads of songs that are quite easy to play but theres not too much to them

.....fine if you can sing along but sound a bit repetitive on their own

theres a couple of songs I can play and know well enough that I can now attempt tone deaf  vocals....best done alone and when the neighbours are out....I don't need anyone telling me I cant sing....I know I cant sing

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:06:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey reevesy. It's not my intention to turn this into a Rocksmith thread but I did say I would give you an update.

I have spent about five hours at it this weekend and must say I am impressed.
The songs I have tried so far aren't particularly to my taste but I am enjoying them and making genuine progress.
The big thing is it keeps my attention by providing bass, vocals etc.. to play alongside.
It has stated me off at a very low level on the two low strings with single notes and easy 5th chords.
In some respects this is a step back, but I can see the logic though, as this sends me all over the neck gaining confidence and familiarization to the point where I am mostly looking at the screen and not the neck.
Once you get the hang of a section the difficulty increases slightly or reduces if you are struggling. So far, techniques like bends , hammer on's and slides have been thrown into the mix.

My impression so far is that I wouldn't use it replace Justin's or proper tuition, but it's really useful to compliment them. As I already had the TV, PC and guitar it stands me at about £50, the cost of a couple of lessons. So far I think it's a worthwhile tool.

Early stages yet, I'll give you an update next weekend if you're Ok with that.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:06:38 Mobile | Show all posts
glad its helping....would like to keep cracking on ...but I could see how it could be fun with 'the band' playing along.
...just after I ordered my guitar...there was a bargain bundle set just before xmas ....xbox game,cable and les paul copy guitar for the same money my acoustic cost...

to be honest I might have bought it if I hadn't all ready ordered mine.

might be a contender later when I get a bit better

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:06:38 Mobile | Show all posts
I used to turn the pick on its side for picking. Slightly stiffer.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:06:39 Mobile | Show all posts
I have a selection to choose from now. As my technique has improved I have gone for a stiffer 0.73 pick.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:06:39 Mobile | Show all posts
yeah I occasionally use a bit stiffer now...especially after I broke one !

still use a lightish one for certain strumming

..started on 7th chords....now know B7..D7 and A7....tried a D minor too..sounds awful though...not sure if its me but even though the strings ring out ok it still sounds pretty pants.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:06:39 Mobile | Show all posts
Hey,

I am a guitarist and have been in bands for years. Not here to gloat (I promise!) but feel free to ask anything.

From what I have read so far, Rocksmith is great fun. The bassist in the band got it for xmas and is loving it.

So a few things for new guitarists to help you out.

String Tuning:

I learnt this mnemonic to help me (for basic tuning)

(E)ven (A) (D)og (G)ets (B)reakfast (E)arly

In the days of smart phones and tablets, there are loads of free tuning apps.

The bit they don't help with is string stretching youtube.com/watch?v=umqzdp4qHTs it will help keep the guitar in tune after you have restrung it the first time.

When cleaning your guitar, you can buy oils and wipes (which are good if you are gigging alot to help preserve the string life) but I always use lemon juice to degrease my neck and fret board with a few sheets of normal kitchen paper. (on both acoustic and electric guitar)

When you buy a good guitar it pays to get it serviced, however it's a mine field on finding the person you want to trust your guitar with. (Still not sure I am happy where I take mine!)

For the people with the C and F problem.

There are a few cheats to get the sound while you are learning.

If you can make the E chord shape

If you shift that up 1 fret so 2 is on the 3rd fret, 3 is on the 3rd fret and 1 is on the 2nd. This will work as a F Chord. Now if you drop it all down a string but in the same shape then you have a C.

So with the C one you can lose the 4th finger to make it easier on yourself, (Finger on the 1st fret in the picture above)

And with the F just try to avoid the bar chord section, so avoid playing the other strings and hit only the 3 with the E shape on it. (Some people find it easier to use a thumb around the neck to put that note in or "mute" the string so that you can hit it without making a noise)

However nothing can take away from just practising till you get it right, but it just depends on how frustrated you are getting. Some times a cheat will ease stress levels and then you can find you can do it anyway.

So what videos might you like to see that are not really answering questions you have? I have a guitar and youtube channel let me know what has been bugging you that maybe the guitar courses are not showing.

Ironically, it's only recently that I am starting to learn covers, I always felt that if I wrote my own songs, people would not see the mistakes!

Finally, have you heard of drop D tuning. Basically make the low E string a D.

It then makes the whole open guitar a chord, so all you need is one finger to make a chord. Quite good fun to play with, loads of "heavy bands" adopt this tuning as well as it means you can do faster changes, have a heavy sound and rock out.

Tom

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:06:39 Mobile | Show all posts
nice one.....
did know about the F cheat as I'd seen it on the 'justinguitar' site...don't you just strum the 3 or 4 middle strings?

.....I can play a F maj 7 so sometimes sneek that in.....also used the C add 9 instead of a C...another good cheat....just dropping 2 strings down form a G....handy for songs needing a quick chord change.

I still find C changes a bit fiddly

...found the B7 quite easy really....just started practicing changing between G and B7 and E maj to B7

had a bash at Oasis 'stand by me' as it has a B7 in it.....finding the CFD ..1 strum each change a bit difficult though! (using the F major 7 instead of a F).

mind you I've only been playing a couple of months so I've pretty pleased with what I've learnt so far.....no way did I think I'd know 13 or 14 chords by this stage !found these online vids a godsend really...don't think I'd progressed as much at all with just a book

...only another 130 odd left to go

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部