Author: KelvinS1965

Kelvin's Guitar/drums stuff and JV Squier refurbishment thread.

[Copy link]
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:16:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes, I think I might have a look in the back of the Marshall to see what speakers are in it. The Blackstar has a 16 or 8 ohm output jack, so unless they are 4 ohms connected in series then I'd be able to run a single one. Of course I could just replace the one in the Blackstar's cabinet, but I think part of the effect is the larger cabinet as by comparison the Blackstar sounds a bit 'boxy' (not that I'd really noticed before I tried the 4 x 12 though).

I'm tempted to get a 2 x 12 cabinet eventually and get rid of my existing Line 6 Flextone III amp (similar size) and use either the Blackstar into it and maybe get some small heads like you've done, perhaps one of the Vox 5 or 15 watt Night train one if they sound anything like an AC15/30.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:16:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Any news on your strat yet?

Use magic Report

No...it's becoming a sore point now.

I know he doesn't like to be rushed (I was with him when someone else rang up chasing up and it seemed to aggravate him and I got the impression it had the opposite effect), but if I don't chase him up it'll get left 'on the back burner'. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. Seems to work best if I email him about some other guitar question and slip in the 'how's the Strat coming along' somewhere. Running out of ideas of what to email him about now though...

Lately I've found a few 'craftsmen' for various jobs I want doing (carpenter and a brick layer) but they all seem to need pushing along to do anything. All well and good being able to turn out 'high end work', but if it never actually arrives then what's the point??!

On other news, I'm thinking about building myself a small Fender amp clone, either from a kit (I'll certainly 'buy in' the cabinet at least) or maybe from an old amp circuits book I have somewhere. I'm not that happy with the Blackstar's clean sound, so looking around for alternatives: I'd love a Fender Twin Reverb to play the Strat through (I borrowed one once many years ago and it sounded superb), but they're big, loud, expensive and I'd never be able to move it.

Thinking of a modified 5E3 type 'Tweed' amp (in a proper Tweed cabinet as I think it'd look OK in the living room). Possibly something like this one:

Amp Maker: Guitar amp kits and parts :: Guitar amp kits :: N5X 5W British overdrive amplifier

The kit, plus valves and speaker would be around the £300 mark, plus another £200 for the 'Tweed' cabinet. The only issue is not being able to try it out before building it. On the other hand, if it doesn't quite sound 'right' I'd have to spend some time tweaking components. Maybe I need to try something fairly similar first to see if it's even close to the clean sound I'm after (I have a feeling this one is more like a Mini Marshall).

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:16:52 Mobile | Show all posts
If you have the electronic experience go for it. It's point to point so should be easy enough.

I considered doing it myself, but I don't have enough of an electronics background to diagnose when something goes wrong. May start with some pedals and work my way up.

Off topic slightly but if you are after a good fender clone check out Subzero amps the mods that the guy at RAT amps does. The subzero amps use the same circuit as the Fenders. You could always try some Rat type mods and put in a nice tweed case like this
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112 Enclosure (Tweed)

The RAT guy regularly puts Epi Junior 5w board kits on ebay for under 40 quid as well. The epi Juniors are fender champ clones

Use magic Report

That's a great idea buying the Fender enclosure to fit the amp to. Plus I'd be able to try it out in the shop first to get an idea of the tone with a Fender head (Andertons stock the new Deluxe reverb head that I was looking at). I'll have a look for the RAT guy too.

I used to work as an Electronics Engineer building and repairing valve and transistor PA type amps for the MOD (with my OH too who did the wiring), so I should be OK building a kit. I did once put together a copy of a master volume Marshall (just the pre amp stage), which I plugged into the power amp of an old transistor combo amp. I was after more of a distortion sound at the time, but it worked quite well. It was a mess appearance wise though and these days much easier to buy something off the shelf that looks decent.

The kit appeals more just because I'd be less likely to get lost in the design and development of it and be able to get on actually playing something.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:16:53 Mobile | Show all posts
You would think the guy would want to get it finished so he could get paid. I hate slow tradesmen too, the bigger the project the slower they work it seems.

An amp build would be a fun way to pass the time waiting on the strat though, makes me wish I had more of an electronic back ground!

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:16:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I've sent him another email, we'll see how he responds. I'd really like to have it back now (apart from being keen to play it after such a long wait) as my parents are visiting soon and I know they're interested in seeing how it turns out.

I've been researching 12" speakers. I think I need to get my laptop plugged into my AV system so I can compare the various sound clips that Celestion have on their website. I fancy trying a 'Blue' mainly because it's the speaker that was used by The Beatles in their Vox amps (and many other bands too). I could put it in my Blackstar until the new amp gets built, unless I find a suitable cabinet with a 'Blue' in it like Christian suggested.

Use magic Report

If you have not changed speakers before you will be amazed at the difference. The Blackstar stock speaker is very mushy changing it will really open the sound up.

I was considering a fender amp at one point so did a bit of research a lot of people seem to favour the eminence cannabis Rex for fenders. There's a good article here on the different speakers
Billm Audio   » The Right Speaker for your Blues Junior

I've had a few Celestion speakers and they all sound great but very different. The Vintage 30 is my favourite, but I went for Celestion Seventy 80 for my JMD as I wanted something warmer. The Blues seem a bit over priced to me, but speakers are easy to pick up used, people are forever swapping.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:16:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I recently tried my Blackstar into a Marshall 4 x 12 cabinet that is in our rehearsal room (belongs to the studio as we can rent heads if we want to but they leave the cabinets in there). It sounded quite different to the standard Blackstar speaker, much richer and clearer too, though I don't have the space for one at home. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised as I know what a difference changing my PMC speakers to MK sound ones made to my AV set up.

I can get a Vintage 30 for about £70, so I may even just order one to swap into the HT5-R. Who knows it may change the sound to what I'm after?

However, I'm very tempted by the amp maker N5X 5W I linked to earlier, especially if I have a white combo cabinet made like this one (I think I prefer it to the Tweed look, especially if fitted with some chrome knurled knobs like a Telecaster, I think it would be a bit different though it all depends on the sound of course):

Classic combo (SE-5a, PP-18, SL-18, PP-36)

It probably won't sound anything like a Fender Twin though, so maybe I'm getting away from the original plan: I've also been looking at Vox AC15 amps which aren't much more money than this DIY build would be (and would have more resale value if I change my mind in future, like I have with the Blackstar...).

Use magic Report

Yup that looks like a Marshall Silver Jubilee, there are kits to make JCM800s and I think I heard the Jub is basically a mod. Heck if you could make a JCM with a modded power scaling kit there would be a few of us queuing to buy one from you.

The Vintage 30 is a great speaker maybe not the greatest for fenders as it's a bit mid heavy which is great with Marshalls, but I read people like them in the more distortion based fenders. You will lose a bit of glass and warmth tho. Would sound great with the Blackstar and I know it's a popular speaker swap. I've bought and sold a couple for around 30-40 quid.

Yup I an AC15 would certainly shift, but there are tons of fender clones around already but it would sell if you say it's point to point and hand built by a professional engineer.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部