Author: KelvinS1965

Kelvin's Guitar/drums stuff and JV Squier refurbishment thread.

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:16:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I think these DIY builds are a great idea, something I would love to do but I don't have the skills needed.

Going off slightly at a tangent, the old valve radios modded to work as practice amps look really cool also.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:16:56 Mobile | Show all posts
I went into Andertons today as I was working nearby. I had a good look at the AC15 and various other Fender combos: I tried lifting a Twin Reverb by it's handle and predictably it weighed a ton...Beautiful pieces of equipment though, the Vox heads were tiny, even the 15 watt model I'd been considering.

It was too busy to be able to try out these amps though (packed with school kids/students still on summer holiday). I did have a quick go of a RAT pedal and a Big Muff (with Tone wicker), using an Epiphone LP like mine and through a Blackstar HT5-R (by chance that was what was in the little 'booth' had in it). I ended up with the Big Muff. It's quite different to the Tube Screamer I bought a while ago and the 'tone wicker' adds an extra option too. The RAT seemed more like the TS in some ways, so a bit too similar.

When I got home I found I could coax quite a reasonable Clapton sound (think 'Sunshine of your love') out of the 'Muff using my Tele on the neck pickup (I'm sure it'll be better still once the Strat turns up) into a cleanish setting on the HT5-R.

I'll have to go back and try out a few combos and heads when I have more time and it's less busy. If nothing else but to give me more idea of what different speakers/cabs might sound like if I DIY the amp. Either that or I might just decide that I find what I'm looking for sound wise; even the 'Blue' equiped Vox AC15 isn't much more than I'll spend building my own, though the Fender Deluxe combo/head   cab would work out quite a lot more. If I end up buying a head   cab I'd still be tempted to build my own Marshall type head later on anyway, so I think I'll end up doing some DIY eventually regardless.

PS. I'm in the doghouse as I was meant to ring the Carpenter when I got home and of course I forgot as I was too busy playing my guitar (loudly) when the OH got home.

Use magic Report

It's the big day tomorrow: Finally got the email that the Strat is ready for collection. Bit of practice tonight on my Telecaster to make sure I'm all limbered up as I'll have to play it to check it out incase of any adjustments. It's a bit intimating playing in front of someone who builds/repairs guitars for Hank and his band mates.

Looking forward to playing it again after so long. I think buying a suitably matching Fender valve amp (Deluxe reverb anyone?) might not be far behind. Shame we're doing The Kinks 'You really got me' next week at the 'rock school' as it doesn't strike me as a particularly 'Strat' song, but I'll be using it anyway (I hope unless this post has put a jinx on getting it tomorrow ).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:16:56 Mobile | Show all posts
That's great news, be sure to get the pics up when you can.

Use magic Report

Will do...I might have to change my Avatar while I'm at it.

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:16:57 Mobile | Show all posts
OK, so I picked it up this morning. He's done a brilliant job of it and set it up really well too. Didn't end up doing the frets at this time as he felt it wasn't needed, so saved me a bit of money. Chatting about amps when I was there and he might have a smaller Fender valve amp for sale, so the fret money will go towards that.

Anyway, here's a few pictures, not very good ones, but gives the idea of how it's turned out. Tried to change my avatar and it's cropped the picture I chose so I'll have another go later when it lets me.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:16:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Wow, that looks fantastic. Well worth the wait.

The burst and aged maple look really great together.

Use magic Report

Thanks...I didn't want him do the neck as it would look too new if it was refinished. I can't get over how different it feels to play compared to my Affinity Tele (same scale length of course) and my Epiphone Les Paul. Seems to make me want to play different songs/styles compared to the other two, so I think it's a great option having three relatively different guitars. Considering I haven't played it in about 6 years it's like meeting an old friend again (wearing a new suit in this case).

Hard to believe I bought it nearly 32 years ago (it keeps its age better than me too since this 'face lift' ).

Use magic Report

I was working near Bournemouth today so before I drove home I called in at Absolute Music. I picked up another set of Schaller strap locks for the Strat (don't want to risk dropping it after the refinish) and a nitro safe guitar stand. I also had a demo of some different reverb pedals as I'm not really happy with the reverb in my Blackstar. I tried the various EHX ones and ended up with a 'Cathedral' reverb pedal; it has 8 different reverbs/echoes and each can be stored as a preset too. Sounds good into my Blackstar too when I got home.

In the store I used a Custom Vibe Strat into a Fender Hot Rod deluxe (with it's reverb turned off of course). I was surprised how different this Strat felt to mine. In particular the frets seemed much higher when sliding up and down the neck. It didn't seem to have the same 'twang' as mine either, though the amp may well have been playing a part there too. One of my band mates has a USA Strat which I'll to try compare to mine at some point. I've never really been into all the specs like neck size/shape and jumbo frets or whatever, since I just accepted that my Strat was fairly typical, but I guess the '57 reissue aspect must make some differences. Since I'm looking at getting another guitar next year for the big '50' it's useful to understand what these specs mean in pratice; working out what I like (ie what it's called/termed) should help in the search.

Having said that I'm not sure I'm really that bothered about getting another guitar now I've got the Strat back...might just end up being more amps/pedals...

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:16:58 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm starting to get more of an understanding about such things as neck radius, shape and fret wire type having worked out what my guitars have and knowing that I particularly like the combination my Strat has. Today I tried out a 'Classic 50s' Telecaster, it has the same 7.25" radius, neck shape and vintage (low/thin) frets that my Strat has. I much preferred it to my Affinity Tele which has a flatter radius (9.5") and bigger frets as well as the nut width being 2mm narrower (not much, but it is noticeable as I've discovered).

Since getting my Strat back and finding that it's easier to play than the Tele* I wanted to try to get to the bottom of it, so those previously mystical figures I'd read on spec pages have started to make sense. Trying out that Tele today confirmed that it felt completely different to the one I have and while I've been playing my Affinity Tele plenty this year, perhaps it doesn't suit my hands/fingers as well as others might.

I had thought about changing the neck on the Affinity as it's a pretty cheap option (especially if a used one came up), but I think I'd perhaps be better cutting my losses. I can easily take the Original Vintage pick ups back out and swap the standard ones (they won't add any value to it's selling price). Plus having tried the 'Classic 50s' today I think it's also about the different 'vintage' 3 saddle bridge, through body stringing and maybe even the thicker body too. Whatever it plays and sounds quite differently (even allowing for the Original Vintage pick ups).

The upshot of this discovery/demo? I think a two tone Classic 50s Telecaster is going to end up next to my two tone Strat later this year (I ought to try to sell the Affinity Tele first as it'll never get played then).

*I should add that I'm sure other guitarists might find they prefer a flatter radius and big frets, so it's just a personal discovery really, but might be worth paying attention to the variables when looking for a guitar.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部