Author: DodgeTheViper

Never played a Guitar but I want to learn

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:18:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Nowt wrong with eBay/Gumtree but personally I would only collect in person and be prepared to walk away.
With my eyes wide open I bought a dog for £46 in case (which was worth more than the guitar).
Turned it from a dog to a stunner. Cost more than a new one in the end though

Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:18:42 Mobile | Show all posts
There's a group of us who mostly play Rocksmith but generally chat about guitar stuff and what we've bought etc!  Because of the Rocksmith link, we hang around in the Xbox One / Rocksmith forum but you don't have to play Rocksmith or do it on an Xbox to join in.  As well as general guitar chat (and there are several fun threads there), we run a very informal "Song of the Week" contest where each week someone picks a song in Rocksmith, and we all play it and record our scores.  We've had a short break over Christmas but the next song will start this Friday.

Very briefly, my 2p's worth would be: go to a guitar shop, talk to the assistant and try playing a few guitars and just pick one you fancy.  If it's not the display model, ask the guy to open the box and have a look over the guitar with you to check that it seems OK.  I would buy Rocksmith and not bother with an amp to start with, since any starter amp is likely to be not terribly good and end up not being what you want, and getting replaced afterwards.

Re styles of guitars, you can play any style on more or less any normal guitar.  Buy the type of guitar you want to play (acoustic or electric); don't buy an acoustic one first because it seems like "the done thing"; it's not.  The following are the classic styles of electric guitars:

Stratocaster (Fender)

Telecaster (Fender)

Les Paul (Gibson)

Semi-hollow (Gibson 335)

They come in lots of different colours and options, and many other companies have copied these basic designs.  Then you've got some other styles of guitars, like Jaguars, Explorers, Vs etc etc but they all do essentially the same thing.

Two key things are worth mentioning for beginners.  Firstly, some guitars come with a little arm attached to the bridge (like the Stratocaster above) called a whammy bar or tremolo arm.  I would recommend getting a guitar without this arm as a first guitar.  Secondly, there are two main types of pickups - single coils and humbuckers.  The first two guitars above have single coils, and the second two have humbuckers.  They give a different sound, and you might want to try both types before you make a choice.  Humbuckers generally have a more mellow sound than single coils but there are many variations.

If you don't live near a guitar shop and are willing to take a punt on an online purchase, the Slash AFD pack that someone linked above is one good option (as are the Yamaha Pacificas, which are very well-regarded cheap guitars).  You could also visit Thomann and have a browse through their own brand guitars, under the brand name "Harley Benton", which are basically Chinese copies of lots of famous guitars at very cheap prices, and generally quite decent as starter guitars.

Don't hesitate to ask more questions!  There's also a ton of useful information on YouTube if you search for things like "Choosing a beginner's guitar".

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:18:43 Mobile | Show all posts
some great beginners and learning books here in the sale

..cheap as chips

Your results for 'guitar' - The Works

for example 3 quid

Learn To Play The Guitar by Nick Freeth | Cheap Music Books at The Works

Use magic Report

Author| 25-11-2019 21:18:43 Mobile | Show all posts
I hadn't actually looked at Rocksmith . . . . . until now.

Buy your guitar, XBox One, appropriate lead, the game and away you go . . . interesting.

Im almost set on a electric guitar, not acoustic. Toying between the Stratocastor and the Les Paul with a slight preference toward the Les Paul i think.

Use magic Report

Both the Strat, and the LP are great choices.  The Les Paul will generally sound "meatier" due to the pickups being doubled up (humbuckers), so can be more suited to heavier rock.  The Strat tends to sound a little "spankier" due to both the single coil pickups, and the increased string tension because the scale length is a little longer.  I would definitely try to have a little go on both types before a decision is made as they do feel quite different to each other.  I'm firmly in the Les Paul corner, personally, as I just prefer both the feel and the sound, but there are just as many Strat fans out there.  Good luck in your quest

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Not sure if they're still around but there were some Epiphone Rocksmith bundles on sale this time last year. Rocksmith, cable, Epihone Les Paul Junior, strap & picks for a little over £100.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It was Gear4music doing the bundles,

Rocksmith 2014 Xbox 360   New Jersey II Electric Guitar, Black at Gear4music.com

For 360 though rather than the One, not sure if swapping out for a One version is an option.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:18:44 Mobile | Show all posts
The one I'm thinking of was definitely Epiphone. A mate bought the bundle from Amazon & sold the guitar, getting RS virtually free.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Yeah, remember that one now you mention it, maybe it was a limited thing from the launch or something?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I'd go for Les Paul style rather than Strat style because LPs don't usually have a whammy bar and so they are easier to tune and maintain (string changes etc), and I prefer the sound of humbuckers generally.  Also, being a shorter scale length (length of the strings), they are a little bit easier to play, particularly for bending notes.

However, there's nothing wrong with a Strat either, these are relatively minor things and it's a question of preference.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部