Author: KungFuPro

Pointy Guitar Build Thread

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:19:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Go for it, quality nowadays is fine, I think BC Richs rep still suffers from the Class Axe era when they moved overseas production in the late 80s. Started using cheap hardware and ply bodies, most big companies were doing the same with their overseas line of guitars but with their cheaper name on the headstock.

Funny when someone slates a brand of guitar when most are made in the same factory. Remember seeing a Chapman Guitars factory tour video and you can see a BC Rich widow shaped headstock template on the wall, same factory as PRS SE, Dean, ESP LTD, etc... Quality control in that factory is excellent, stock pickups are decent G&B pups, hardware like the tuners are usually Korean licensed Grovers, etc...

Wish I had bought the router bits before cutting the body now, hindsight and all that. Didn't have a lot of tearout but makes a lot more work sanding out tool marks. Not got round to drilling holes yet, have a long drill bit for the pup holes, pic from a previous build.

Damn, those humbucker cavities are a lot neater than this build, same template, router bits were still sharp then

Yes, I used a router guide like this

With a 1/2" bit it will cut roughly the same size as the template ~1-2mm smaller. I prefer to use a 1/4" bit and make the template ~1/4" wider as the smaller bit is closer to the neck heel profile. With a 1/2" bit there would be larger gaps around the neck pocket corners.

Test template on a piece of scrap first (remember to attach the guide, done that before!) and it should turn out fine. My tip would be to cut in 4-5mm passes at a time and use the measuring stick at the side of the router to stop it going any further. (done that before too!), Bit of a learning process but I'm getting better at it.

My attempt at an arty photo, fold-up chair and plywood platform add to the ambiance

Got the sides shaped, still have to shape the top horns and tidy the sides around the neck pocket. After that, lots of drilling; jack socket, controls, pup, neck & bridge holes, then onto the finish.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:19:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I'd recognise that pen blank V anywhere. Another fine looking guitar

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:19:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah, the basses put me off a little due to the positioning of the bridge on a few models   some reviews from friends who'd used them a few years back.  Might have to have a play of one if I ever find one in a shop.  Cheers!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:19:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Bit more progress, used a 20mm forstner drillbit for recess holes, 10mm for pot shaft. Pillar drill is a godsend, can line up both holes with accuracy.

Doh! drilled all holes the same size, 3-way toggle switch shaft is 12mm, had to redo that one, made recess bigger so I can tighten nut.

Decided to put the coil-splitting switch between the volume & tone, had to recess cavity so the shaft of the switch could fit through guitar.

Pickup wire channel and jack hole, always wary when drilling freehand but clamped down and both turned out fine.

Quick setup, still have to drill neck and bridge holes. Got the string ferrules, going to have another go at a string hole guide before anything else.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:19:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Starting to look like a real guitar with the pickups and pots in place. I'm intrigued as to how it will sound; will it be like a Les Paul/SG due to the humbuckers, or something different again?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:19:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Liking the chrome theme, looks nice and clean against the wood. The recessed pots and switches add interest too.

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:19:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Looking stunning mate, pleasure watching a craftsman at work.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:19:14 Mobile | Show all posts
With my soldering, I'll be happy if it makes any sound at all.

Not sure whats pickups I'm going with yet, probably PAF wound in neck and overwound in bridge. Have a 59/JB set in my Wrath I might use if I take that guitar apart to refinish. Got a spare set of Wilkinson Zebras but both neck & bridge are 7-8k alnicos, might not be hot enough for heavier tones (although Lamb of God guitarist used to have a '59 in bridge!?).

Just stuck generic chrome ones in for now, look nice but no idea what they sound like, got 4 conductor wires for splitting, neck is 7k, bridge is 14k, think they're ceramic though and would ideally like alnico for neck, guess I could do a magnet swap with one of the Wilkinsons.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:19:15 Mobile | Show all posts
You've got skills Kung Fu, looking forward to seeing and hearing the end product

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:19:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Finished shaping the horns, used a 20mm drum sanding attachment to create the arches, filed and sanded to smooth off, redone the lower horns to match. They're supposed to be horns but they look more like crab pincers to me, 'Crabby Bich' has a nice ring to it.

Drilled the neck holes, not into back of neck yet, going to make sure everything is aligned first.

Onto the bridge, the part I've been putting off. Had a second attempt at making a string-through hole guide but it was worse than my first attempt! Ended up using the original guide which only had one hole (low E) out of place. Drilled the 5 good holes then flipped the guide over  to drill the last hole.

Turned out alright, slightly off centre made more noticeable by the centre strip. They seem to be in a straight line, spacing between them could be better but it's done now (thank fudge!). I've recessed the holes for ferrules but not going to hammer them in until I've done the finish.

First attempt at string through holes so I can't complain, early Telecasters were known for wonky string holes.

Even some factory made guitars aren't perfect, LTD 7-string I was eyeing up the other day. Never noticed how off some string-throughs are until trying it myself.

Main thing is the bridge and neck line up. Neck pocket has no wiggle room at all, tight enough for a setneck. If it didn't line up, I'd have to take a bit off one side of the neck pocket and shim the other side.

String height seems spot on, don't want to do a slapdash finish but really want to test it now. Still have to fine sand and dye (blue or red?), not the ideal weather to do a lacquer spray finish so either sanding-sealer to build up a clear coat or tru-oil finish.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部