New acoustic guitar...

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:10 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi chaps

I've not had an acoustic guitar for 5 or 6 years, and being incredibly wealthy I am looking to buy a decent one. I'm fed up of people coming round, asking me to play something, and then wanting a singalong Oasis session. It's not easy on a Telecaster.
I am thinking around £1000, and looking at a good S/H Taylor or Martin. Anyone here have any thoughts? I know I can probably buy something cheaper which will suit me, but given my 30 year history of buying and selling guitars on a slow upgrade path, I believe I am now best served in going for the best I can get. I am selling my Ibanez semi acoustic (plays and looks brilliantly, sounds like a dog) to help fund this.
I'll be trying some out this weekend, and will report back.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Good hunting .

Played some really nice ones around the 500 - 700 mark....with my budget at the time I settled on a 400 quid yamaha.

I felt the gap between the guitars in those price ranges are not great and more down to little subtle differences.

For comparrison I picked up a 2 grand gibson ...was expecting to be blown away but it was very 'meh' !.

Might have been down to my playing

Cant remember what models I tried but there were a couple of mahogany ones ...made in Korea by some company ive never heard of ....really nice guitars but a bit above my budget at the 600 - 700 quid mark.

Not much help but looking forward to seeing how you get on
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Reevesy. Yes, I've played Gibson (and Fender) acoustics in the past and not been impressed to be honest. Faith are a brand I am looking at, but as you will know it's almost impossible to try them all in the same shop. I know that over and above around £300 or so (acoustic and electric) the laws of diminishing returns applies. But what the heck, it's only money. I'll tell my wife it was £100 whatever it costs me.
I'm at the point in my life that I'd rather get the 'best' I can afford, rather than the 'best' for my ability, if that makes any sense. I have no desire now to keep upgrading.
The main problem I have always had with acoustics is body size. Big, medium, small, or 'tiny'. Big guitars are fine standing up, but a right pain sitting down, which is 95% of what I will be doing. It's also difficult to get models without some sort of pick up in certain body sizes. Far more difficult than choosing an electric.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:13 Mobile | Show all posts
Funny enough ..ive just looked at some old posts...one I tried was faith...another a martin...and a mad gretsch one with a wammy bar! To name a few

The big stores such a pmt has some big dedicated acoustic sections so if theres any near you should have plenty of choice to have a crack at

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:14 Mobile | Show all posts
I was looking at acoustics in PMT myself a few days ago. I've heard so many good things about the Taylor GS mini and wanted to check out the size. They didn't have one in the store but I checked out the Martin LX1E which is the equivalent 'concert' Ed Sheeran size. I'm not in a hurry for one but that size seems to be about right to me.

PMT had a great range of choice, I'm sure there's something in there to your liking Philly.

This channel do some useful AB comparisons.

Acoustic Letter - YouTube

Use magic Report

25-11-2019 21:21:15 Mobile | Show all posts
Sounds like a fine idea, if you have the money go for it you only live once. If you spend that sort of money on a Taylor/Martin it should hold it's value from what I gather.

Only thing I'd say is that the best singalongs have been on pretty cheap guitars. You sure you wouldn't be better of directing some of the money to lessons and buying a mini.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:16 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks Christian! Actually, the singalong thing was a bit of a joke (although, yes, I will use it for that as well!). I really want it for playing some Steve Howe type things - I used to be able to play an almost acceptable version of Clap, and would like to do more of that stuff. (although my version sounds like I've got the clap...).
Re lessons, I had quite a few many years ago, and if I go down that route again it will probably be for theory/jazz lessons. I actually find that You Tube is as good as anything if I want to learn how to play something!
Knowing myself as I do, I'll be surprised if I can limit myself to only having two guitars in the house (I'm in danger of having only one if the Ibanez sells).

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Just checked out a Taylor 514CE. Wonderful sounding guitar. But the 'legendary' Taylor playability was lacking. I think the guy who has it (local bloke) had strung it with medium strings, when it would have been set up with light gauge from the factory (12-53 Elixirs). No way was the bottom string 52. Too much string tension for me, and medium/high action; Taylors should be low/medium from what I've been reading. There is no way it should have played the way it did - it was OK, but by no means an easy playing instrument. But it did sound fantastic I have to say. Really punchy. It shimmered, almost like a 12 string.
More tomorrow at a local shop, Martin and Faith, and maybe more Taylors if they have any in stock.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
25-11-2019 21:21:18 Mobile | Show all posts
If he's gone up a gauge without tightening the truss rod that may be the reason for the high action.

I've never played a high end acoustic but going by those I have seen in the shop the action should be no worse than an electric.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 25-11-2019 21:21:19 Mobile | Show all posts
Yes I'm sure that's the reason. It was a 2011 model, mint, and hardly played. Just needed a set up - this model of Taylor was actually designed with light strings in mind, so not sure why he put on bigger ones. It did sound fantastic though.

Use magic Report

123Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部