Author: Rasczak

Scottish IndyRef2 - Autumn 2020

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 00:22:36 Mobile | Show all posts
I hope the Scots to do become independent. It would be good for England too. The break up of the UK might finally break some of the delusions of grandeur, and the new land border between the UK mainland and EU will make the notion of ending freedom of movement seem even more ridiculous than it already does.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 00:22:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Delusions of grandeur? Hmm I prefer black and white figures and measurements.

Why do you thinking ending the EU freedom of movement (settlement is a better word in my opinion) is so ridiculous? I remember the days before that existed, there was still freedom to move around; didn't take much more than a quick wave of the old passport whilst in the car crossing the borders. It was actually fun, a nice place to stop, a clear line where languages and cultures changed.

I appreciate my perspective is a bit different to some as I have lived in 17 countries and worked/travelled in many more. But I never had difficulties, nor my parents, in doing so.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 00:22:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Right, so you don't understand what freedom of movement is. I had better explain.

It's not just the freedom to travel. It's the freedom to work and live. It's even more common on the continent because of the land borders, e.g. I was working at a place in The Netherlands and many of the staff commuted every day from Germany and France. Similarly a lot of people cross the Irish border for work every day. If family members are from the other side of the border it's no problem, they don't have to worry about immigration or settlement schemes or any of that rubbish.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 00:22:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure how you get to that conclusion that I don’t know what it means. As I explained I was doing that, and so were my parents, from before the freedom of movement introduction.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 00:22:37 Mobile | Show all posts
I would humbly suggest that impression came loud and clear from your comments about border passport checks being "fun".

Use magic Report

I still don’t get how that can drive such a conclusion. I was purely speaking from experience as we did that regularly to work, visit family etc.

Sure driving at 120km/h across the borders without stopping, and not having to have multi currency wallets have made it even easier for those who did that. But that doesn’t mean it couldn’t be done or wasn’t easy before those days either.

Use magic Report

Yes, well quite a few of us having recent (and ongoing) experience as well which is, I expect, why you got the response you did.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 00:22:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Recent experience is post E.U. but undoubtedly many others have it like myself pre EU as well. Hence I don’t understand what the response relates too. But hey ho I won’t loose any sleep over it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Passports and border checks are the least of our worries. Freedom of movement is about much more than just border checks, in fact they are the most trivial part of it.

Use magic Report

You so miss the point as to how we got here. But hey ho. Tell us, have you actually lived and worked in another country?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部