1234567Next
Back New
Author: GadgetObsessed

What do people believe is so special about the NHS?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Quite a bizarre thing to ask. It's in the news every day because like Earthrod says it is huge. And there's always stories about it, and they aren't always bad either.

I'm happy for it to be in the news anyway, I like to see what's happening. And if you look beyond the main sources there are plenty of stories to be found from behind the scenes. With regards to pioneering treatment, projects and to the like.

The NHS has also saved the life of my dad 3 times in the last 5 years.

I'm sure most members on here have a story of their own involving the NHS, or with someone they know.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:38 Mobile | Show all posts
All thats very true but it doesn't make the NHS particularly special - all developed countries in Europe and around the globe apart from the US have national health systems that are there for ALL whether in employment or not , whether you earn thousands or pennies , you are all treated the same .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:39 Mobile | Show all posts
It's not bizarre. There are excellent health services in France, Holland and Germany. They are not in the news every day. They just get on with it and do good things.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Of course they're not, this is the UK. Or do you mean in their respective countries? Do you follow the news that closely in France, Holland and Germany to know?

If so fair enough!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I don't have any personal experience of healthcare in other European countries but, just looking at Germany, they have a health service that's part funded by Statutory Health Insurance and Private Health Insurance, and turns over around 11.6% of GDP (in 2010 anyway);

Healthcare in Germany - Wikipedia

The  turnover of the health sector was about US$368.78 billion (€287.3 billion) in 2010, equivalent to 11.6 percent of gross domestic product (GDP) and about US$4,505 (€3,510) per capita.[7] According to the World Health Organization, Germany's health care system was 77% government-funded and 23% privately funded as of 2004.[8] In 2004 Germany ranked thirtieth in the world in life expectancy (78 years for men). It had a very low infant mortality rate (4.7 per 1,000 live births), and it was tied for eighth place in the number of practicing physicians, at 3.3 per 1,000 persons. In 2001 total spending on health amounted to 10.8 percent of gross domestic product.[9]

According to the Euro health consumer index, which placed it in seventh position in its 2015 survey, Germany has long had the most restriction-free and consumer-oriented healthcare system in Europe. Patients are allowed to seek almost any type of care they wish whenever they want it.[10]The governmental health system in Germany is currently keeping a record reserve of more than €18,000,000,000 which makes it one of the healthiest healthcare systems in the world.
[11]

In contrast, the UK is primarily state funded, and spends less per capita than other countries;

Health care in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

"The total expenditure on healthcare as a proportion of GDP in 2013 was 8.5%, below the OECD average of 8.9% and considerably less than comparable economies such as France (10.9%), Germany (11.0%), Netherlands (11.1%), Switzerland (11.1%) and the USA (16.4%).[13] The percentage of healthcare provided directly by the state is higher than most European countries, which have insurance-based healthcare with the state providing for those who cannot afford insurance.[14][15] In 2017 the UK spent £2,989 per person on healthcare, the second lowest of the Group of Seven, but around the median for members of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. [16]"

With regards to the OP, I think people see the NHS as such a valuable (as in personally valuable) asset because it is there for everyone, regardless of their social/financial standing and doesn't penalise those who can't afford personal private medical healthcare.  As a result, it is certainly stretched and like many Government bodies is definitely imbalanced with regards to job roles and where the funding goes.  As an example, my wife is a dialysis RGN working in a large hospital in the North West.  The ward she works on regularly floods due to the pipework to the dialysis machines being very old and needing regular repair.  Behind a number of beds there are buckets to catch the leaking water from the machines, and she regularly goes onto the ward for an early start shift to find water running down the walls from pipes in the ceiling.  This has been flagged numerous times to the Hospital management as a health risk, but is only ever addressed with temporary repairs as there is apparently no money available.  In contrast, the A&E department was completely rebuilt/refitted around 6 years' ago with a glass atrium/entrance and is in excellent order.  When Johnson announced the new round of funding for hospitals a few weeks ago, her hospital was awarded £18m and, rather than address the wards (as there are many like my wife's), the Hospital Management have decided to renovate the A&E department again, as it is the showpiece entrance to the hospital!  To me, this is an example of both mis-management of funds and the bigger problems not being financially viable to rectify with the funds available.  Whilst the A&E department will look great, the other 95% of the actual hospital behind that facade will be left to fall apart.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
There's a reason why the term' Health Tourism ' was invented - some folk would come to the UK from all over the world as the cost of their operation back home whether in the USA or elsewhere was prohibitive - they now need to take out some form of Health Insurance before they come over .
It is thought that unlike a Bank or some other Mortgage or home loan creditor , a Medical Creditor cannot force you to sell your home if you're unable to pay your medical bills in the USA but if they follow the correct procedures this is still possible if rare . I wouldn't like to live under such a system personally .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:40 Mobile | Show all posts
I dont think anyone is asking you to. Mostly people look at the better systems in use ion the continent.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Better systems than the NHS ?
I don't know anything about the Health Systems of other countries but I'm open to being educated - who has a better system in place ?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
When it comes to judging individual healthcare systems we can only go by the healthcare we have experienced ourselves unless we are experts in the field . Despite living in what is considered by many to be a remote part of the UK my experience of the Scottish NHS has been nothing short of exemplary .
We have a cottage hospital ten miles from our home , our Doctor's Surgery is five miles in the opposite direction . There is a helicopter service in place fore the more serious cases which can take you to Inverness , Aberdeen or Glasgow -
I cannot praise the Scottish NHS highly enough - so , in my opinion there is no better .
However , that is just my personal experience , yours may be different .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Holland, Denmark, Austria all do very well in international comparisons. Its basically the old conflict between the Beveridge and Bismarck systems.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部