1234567Next
Back New
Author: GadgetObsessed

What do people believe is so special about the NHS?

[Copy link]
 Author| 26-11-2019 00:36:44 Mobile | Show all posts
I don't think we are saying anything too different.

On a comparable basis our spending is above average. If you looked at straight NHS spending we aren't, as what we fund is different to what other countries fund as "health spending".
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:44 Mobile | Show all posts
We can probably learn from ot
I suppose it is going to come down to what is the average  -the OECD average, the EU 27/15 average or the average of the 18 countries selected for the Nuffield report.

To me though your version is more depressing. It seems worse to say we spend above average but still get significantly below average outcomes than it is to say we spend a bit below average and get below average outcomes.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 00:36:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Part of the reason why faxes are still used is the lack of interoperability between different trust's IT systems. Records are not stored in common formats, many are still hard copy and where they are scanned and held electronically, they are regularly printed out for use in clinics and on wards. This even happens within the same hospital.

My daughter was referred to ENT and Maxiofacial clinics and had different x-rays in both, as they were using different imaging systems and could not access each others images. They had hard copy notes and on more than 1 occasion we were seen late while the notes were ferried from the other clinic! A total waste of time and lack of joined up thinking.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:45 Mobile | Show all posts
I wonder how much we can learn from other healthcare systems. I remember a Radio 4 program about the NHS sending people to India for heart operations. (I think it was for major bypasses.)

The reason was that it was cheaper to send patients to India than to do the same operation here and so could be used to reduce waiting lists. The patients themselves didn't seem too keen on going but were essentially offered the chance to queue jump if they took part in the trial.

Interestingly, the people running the test had assumed that the results here would be better here because we have "world renowned medical schools". However, it turned out that the Indian surgeons results were significantly better. This was put down to experience. Basically, the key indicator of a surgeons proficiency is how many times and how frequently they carry out a procedure. (Rather than the reputation of their medical school.) I cannot remember the exact numbers but it was something like an NHS cardiologist may do one or two major bypasses per week whereas the Indian surgeons were typically doing three a day.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 00:36:45 Mobile | Show all posts
There's a good - though as per the Exec Summary it's inconclusive - report from the NAO on the efficacy of the different NHS structures across the UK:

Healthcare across the UK: A comparison of the NHS in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - National Audit Office (NAO) Report                                                                                                        The report finds variations in health outcomes across the four nations, and will help health departments examine how better value for money could be achieved.                                                                                                                                                                                                        www.nao.org.uk

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
All too true. :-( I had some imaging done and ended up taking my own copies of my images because depending on different departments/individuals to communicate was too unreliable. For some reason though, some places do not like you having your own copies - not sure why your own notes should be a secret from you.

Still you would have thought emailing photos was still be better than faxes.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
That's not universal NHS practice though. I certainly know that is not the case for me or my dad with records, referrals, test results, scans etc in recent years (I'm Hillingdon Hospitals NHS FT, he's West Suffolk NHS FT) between GP practice and referred services, all now electronic;  so must be on the way out elsewhere too.

EDIT ... just saw @noiseboy72 post, yep that probably explains the problem

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I have never understood this thing about the NHS were they dont allow patients a copy of their own records. In every other country I have had medical care in I always got a copy of the doctors report, the test results and any imaging scans - in the UK its all kept a secret from me.

Perhaps its a culture thing where the Patient is the important one in other systems and the system is the important thing in the NHS.  

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 00:36:46 Mobile | Show all posts
It's not that they don't allow, it's just not a requirement.

You can request a copy of your records from any hospital at any time.

Unusually sometimes though you have to pay a small fee. But not with every hospital. Which I've never discovered the reason for.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:36:46 Mobile | Show all posts
That is not always true. I have hearing problems and after my last NHS hearing test I asked for a copy of the audiogram. They refused to give it to me and would not me use my camera phone to take a picture of the audiogram either. Not sure what was so special about it or why I could not see it.

That varies by area/trust/individual though - other places have been happy to give me a copy.

Use magic Report

1234567Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部