12345Next
Back New
Author: Rasczak

Scotland Bans Smacking

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 00:40:46 Mobile | Show all posts
What hyperbole.

Donkeys are considered property.
Women have been treated as property in the past and according to some feminists still are. Honor killings are entwined with viewing woman as property.
Children have been considered property in the western world (along with adults) and still are in other parts of the world.
In 1874, a badly beaten girl known only as Mary Ellen became the first legally recognized victim of child abuse in the United States. Before 1874, society offered little protection for minors. Children were considered the property of their parents, and neither the government nor private individuals intervened when they were injured, overworked, or neglected.

Mary Ellen was rescued from unfit parents only after the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) stepped in on her behalf.
ASPCA advocates pointed out that if Mary Ellen were a horse or a dog, her mistreatment would be prohibited by statute. A judge agreed that the young girl deserved at least the same protection as an animal.
Parent and Child - Parent-child Relationship

Perhaps you can see what I was getting at now. If you consider it bad to beat an animal if it doesn't do what you want, surely the same principle should apply to children?

Corporal punishment of children was permitted in the UK in state schools until 1987 (later in private schools).  I myself had the cane on my behind and back of my legs (England several times aged below 12) and the belt (tawse) on my hands and wrists (Scotland several times up until 16). The only lesson I learned from this now illegal punishment was that power corrupts plus a deep seated lifelong dislike/hatred of those in authority who misuse their power over those who cannot defend themselves.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
And that is the key point. I find this dramatization of 'Scotland bans smacking' doing injustice to the very important reason of why this is necessary. This is an anomaly and should have been sorted donkey years ago...everywhere and anywhere.

But with its current presentation and media attention, I too am concerned about people's interpretation of what it is actually about. I was not best pleased with the interference of the state and social care when we simply had a child. I hate to think of how this can be approached by them in much more serious matters.

I've got no issue with correcting the law as per the key point.

Use magic Report

Scotland joins the likes of Sweden, Ireland and much of Europe, Argentinia, Peru, Tunisia, South Sudan, South Africa, Nepal, Mongolia, New Zealand and many other countries in banning smacking.

According to the Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children, 57 states around the world have made smacking children illegal in any setting, including the home. Corporal punishment is illegal in schools in a total of 132 countries.
Countries where smacking children is illegal

Smoking in cars with children in them is illegal. Excessive drinking in cars with (or without) children in them is illegal.  Do you propose to ban smoking or drinking in houses with children in them?
If not, what is your point?  Apart from the usual on these forums attempt to have a go at Scotland by a bit of whataboutery....

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:40:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Perhaps you don’t realise but @MrFraggle lives in Scotland

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 00:40:47 Mobile | Show all posts

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No, there is no exemption to the new anti-slapping act, even if you put a spartan helmet on!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Can't imagine England being much different.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:40:48 Mobile | Show all posts
He might live in Scotland, but reading his posts I’m not sure he’s that enamoured by Scotland/ Scots. He’s of English origin I think.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:40:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Brexit mess...pleasing to see some parts of the UK continue to progress a liberal agenda...?

Dear me

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 00:40:49 Mobile | Show all posts
God forbid that we should criticize the SNP government, not Scotland I might add, after all they are doing such a great job on health, education transport etc etc, it is the land of milk and honey up here. This proposal is little more than a distraction from the poor government we get from the SNP.
As for banning smoking in houses where there are children,  given the massive damage that can be caused to young lungs why not it is probably just as enforceable as the banning of smoking in cars and smacking of children in homes?

On a personal note twice I have contacted my SNP MP and on both occasions I received a nothing to me attitude and passed the buck to my MSP who promptly said the same and passed it back to my SNP MP who decided to fall back on the tried and tested response it is all the fault of Westminster.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部