12345678Next
Back New
Author: Cliff

David Lammy lambasts Comic Relief

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 01:12:45 Mobile | Show all posts
If the 'stereotype' helps to raise money, then its a helpful stereotype, not an unhelpful one.

African children aren't dying of stereotypes.  They are dying of malnutrition, disease, contaminated water, and civil war.  When Africa is no longer suffering monstrous human hardship and misery, then we can begin to worry about first-world problems like stereotypes and tropes.

I doubt the black child in the arms of that loving white woman is particularly bothered by stereotypes.  He probably just wanted a cuddle.

For fudge sake.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

My wife works for Abanna and donates money to help sponsor the education of 1 child.  Both of us had two little black boys aged 7 and 9 staying with us for a few days.

Playing football in the park and playing on the park swings, the kids loved it and it was hard to bring them home.   The warmth and friendship of these little children has changed my entire outlook on race and colour.  We hope to sponsor another childs education soon.  As pensioners and not well off, we are happy to sponsor and donate.

Use magic Report

Over 30 years of these Appeals for Africa, with all the flies on faces etc, and where has it got us ?

Too much greed and power over empathy imo.

Certain families could eradicate world hunger tomorrow, if they wanted to.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I doubt that very much as corruption is so endemic in Africa and to be quite honest pretty much everywhere these days.

Use magic Report

No they couldn't...All the money in the world couldn't do that as long as people are involved. In my opinion....That doesn't mean we shouldn't do anything for those caught in the middle, but money alone is not going to bring a sustainable change.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 01:12:46 Mobile | Show all posts
Again,  Too much greed and power over empathy imo

Use magic Report

???? But not from those who you suggest could eradicate it through their wealth.  That is my point .this isn't just a money problem .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The type of story I want to hear more of. And see promoted more.

Not some 'Z' list celebrity spending a few days "saving" Africa.

And we can spend another 30 years giving money to Comic Relief, and very little will change long term until the real issues are resolved. Then there will be a very real chance of permanent change.

Use magic Report

I agree, it isn't a money problem, tho we are always led to believe by giving a few quid things will change. We have the resources, no-one should go hungry in this world, but decades later, here we still are.

Use magic Report

I agree with that. And that is where the complexity is. From an urgency perspective the donations are required, but they are not part of the long term solution in my opinion.

And whilst sadly there will still be some who have to walk say 70miles to get water, and will have the children with flies on their faces. The reality is that there has been an enormous change across the whole of the continent. It would be good to get that positive message out more as well, and see more attention on people and companies collaborating on super exciting and ground breaking projects.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部