Author: Cliff

David Lammy lambasts Comic Relief

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:12:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Quite a few years ago I watched the BBC series ‘Congo’ and one statistic stunned me.  I think it was in Zaire - it was stated that the lands bordering the river were so vast and so fertile that if properly cultivated they could feed the whole of Africa.  But the sad reality that some of the tribes were so corrupt and warlike that there was more terrorising with machetes than agriculture.

Basically, Africa has enough resources and man-power to look after itself, if only the countries could work together for the common good of the continent and its people.

Cheers,

Nigel
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Stacey Dooley isn't just a z list celebrity though.  She's a successful documentary filmmaker who investigates problems worldwide including child slavery, extremism, sex trafficking and many other injustices.  Not bad for a 31 year old.  But now she has to stay out of Africa because she's white and pretty?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No you miss my point.

I'd much rather see/hear about the story above, than some flavour of the month contracted TV personality's. It's much more inspirational to me personally. Yourself and others might not agree, but that's fine and up to the individual.

And it's irrelevant to me too whether she's 31 and pretty. And it should be for everyone. 60 and ugly, it'd make no difference.

I've deviated slightly from the thread topic I know, but my main point is the plight of those in need doesn't need to always be highlighted by celebrities. They aren't superhero's. Or no more a hero than @Fred Quimby anyway.

I just think there'd be a lot more positive reaction and inspiration if everyday stories like above were told more.

Use magic Report

My only point was that celebrities and filmmakers are useful in raising awareness of things that might otherwise go unnoticed by the general public.  Often times it can be for their own personal profile, true, but in many cases its people wanting to help and putting their fame and privilege to good use.

I agree its nice to hear a personal anecdote, but that doesn't generate cash at a national level.

That wasn't my point at all.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
It should though. The Pride of Britain Awards for example generates a fair amount of interest. And more shows like that I think genuinely would appeal. But when it comes to the general public, broadcasters are mostly interested only in how much they can exploit them.

I've reached the point now where I switch off with celebs. Like the Kilimanjaro climb that's just happened. With Balls, some others and that bloody Dyer girl from Love Island. I switched it off immediately and it doesn't make me wanna donate at all. More than I normally perhaps might I mean.

But again, they're labelled as heroes for doing it. Nope. Do they know how many ordinary people have climbed mountains for good causes?

That's okay then

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 01:12:48 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree with that.  From a broadcasting point of view, using celebs is just marketing.  There are plenty of unsung heroes in the general public more deserving of our admiration.

In the case of Stacey Dooley though, I don't see her as a celebrity as I'd never even heard of her until this controversy (I don't watch TV).  I simply looked her up and found she is a documentary filmmaker and journalist shining a light on important issues.  More power to her I say.  It offends me that some pompous blowhard thinks she shouldn't be involved (or be seen to be involved) in Africa because she has the wrong skin pigmentation.  Compassion doesn't have a colour.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Completely agree. The celebs are purely used for marketing. Apart from the superb Rickshaw challenge that Matt Baker does with the disabled kids for Children in Need, most campaigns feature celebrities. It's to grab the attention and draw in the donations. I don't see any of these celebs as heroes, they aren't marketed as that either.

Stacey Dooley may not be everyone's cup of tea, she won strictly which probably clouds some people's judgement, but she has created some great documentaries on some very hard hitting issues. These were mostly on BBC3, so again not to everyone's liking.

That David Lammy is a complete fool.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Couldn't disagree more. Whilst I do agree they're there to bring in the donations, it's as heroes they are likened to. We're meant to think at times some of these amazing feats are not manageable by mere mortals. And most of these celebs I bet couldn't give two sh*ts about what's happening in Africa, nor have they any idea of the history. They are there to market themselves.

As for Stacey Dooley, I know of her but have zero interest in anything she does to be honest. However I disregard most journalism from the BBC anyway, so never would have, or plan to watch any of her stuff. She's just clearly famous right now for being the latest "Strictly" winner. Or indeed because of what's just happened with Lammy.

Absolutely, but like I say above to Greg, I very much doubt it's compassion that many of the celebs are interested in. Personal gain, likes on Instagram, followers on Twitter - much more like.

I realise I've deviated from the topic into celebrity culture. Apologies. But as someone who cannot stand it one bit, the less of these stars I see the better. Regardless of what they do. I'll follow Average Joe or Jane and their trek up a mountain, or trip to Africa instead.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 01:12:48 Mobile | Show all posts
I understand and agree with the points you make about raising funds but I notice it appears you haven't really addressed the issue. As a matter of interest do you understand what David Lammy is saying? Or you do you think he is a idiot and if funds are raised by any means then that is OK?
In the end its all for a good cause etc...

Use magic Report

I understand what he is saying but I think its a matter of priority.  His constituents being 'offended' by Stacey Dooley's photographs comes a distant second to the spirit of what people like her are doing in Uganda.  An act of compassion, cynically spun into something problematic.  He also comes across as petty (the child had his finger in his mouth- so ****ing what?).

He also makes the point about African filmmakers doing similar work to Stacey Dooley.  Well, undoubtedly, but we aren't a country in Africa.  We're the UK so obviously our coverage will be through the lens of our own journalists.  

I also don't like the idea of putting limits on who can and who cannot contribute to foreign aid; and especially this trend of trying to curtail the activities, movements and expressions of white people.  Enough with the endless chastisement.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部