Author: tapzilla2k

Climate change protests

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 01:18:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Most interesting statistic from those recent graphs is that whether you look at absolutes or per capita the worst offender is the US, who IIRC have just decided climate change is a non issue.  That's where the lobbyists need to concentrate their efforts...
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:18:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I think the point people are making is that if you take the top four they account for over 60% of the world’s emissions.  By contrast the UK accounts for 0.5% of the world’s emission.

Now no one is saying that UK can’t do better, of course we could, but even if we could get to carbon neutral it would only knock 0.5% off the total.

Of course the UK needs to continue improving but if the protesters are worried about the earth dying they need to concentrate on the countries where a viable reduction can make a big overall difference.

Cheers,

Nigel

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The US will only sit up and take notice when countries that don't rely on fossil fuels start to gain on the US in terms of productivity and growth. As it is, it looks like certain renewable energy sources produce energy far cheaper than mining and burning coal. It's a case of doing something now or being forced to later by the market forces a changing climate is going to create. I don't think we are about to see the end of capitalism as some seem to think we are, more of it's going to adapt to the changing climate. Those countries that don't switch from purely carbon based economies will suffer quite a lot when the climate change effects become fully apparent.

Had the coalition and current shambles of a Government not taken certain decisions, we'd have reduced our carbon emissions a lot more than we have, plus we'd likely have a renewable energy sector able to support itself. Fracking is likely one of the worst mistakes the Tories will have made when it comes to the environment. Take away all the subsidies from Oil and fossil fuels then you'd find them most unprofitable endeavours.

We are well placed to take advantage of wind and tidal energy, it just requires the R&D investment to pull it off, alongside nuclear energy. Fusion might become a reality later in the century but I see no point waiting around for it. This country has always done extremely well when it's innovated rather than relying on old technology. I see opportunities where others might whine about protestors interrupting daily life and so on.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 01:18:52 Mobile | Show all posts
Do you have any evidence that that is the case?   You seem to see opportunities that aren't there yet

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I read somewhere that China open 2 new coal power stations a month and if the UK cut all CO2 - so no vehicles, power, gas etc the improvement we'd make would be wiped out in a matter of months. I don't know if it is correct, but would not be surprised to find there is some truth in it.

What annoys me is the money that gets wasted.. smart meters for example, the situation is an utter farce and yet collectiviely we'll end up pay hundreds of million pounds for no gain. Its utterly daft.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
The opportunities are there to develop solutions that can be scaled up to local and national levels using a mix of energy sources. The countries that take those opportunities will be well placed to be more competitive than countries that are slow to change. Some of what's being explored won't pay off, but you won't know unless you try. Indeed the industrial revolution had more failures than successes technology wise.

We'll have to see if solid state batteries come to fruition, because if they do then I can see battery grid systems being developed where energy produced through renewable sources and nuclear power will be stored to reduce waste and build up supply resiliency when production is low. It hopefully won't just be one of Elon Musk's whimsical wheezes.  

What's going on in the Orkney Islands is interesting - Orkney's Business Model That Is Helping The Islands Lead The Way Towards 100% Renewable Energy

What people have to get their heads wrapped around is that there won't be a one size fits all energy solution and that things will be scaled at a local level much more than it is now.   

China is also heavily investing in renewable technology, it wants to be a world leader.
To make any difference to emissions, action has to be taken on a global scale. But it's not an excuse to do nothing "Well China is belching CO2 out, lets carry on...".

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:18:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I still don't get it.  The only way renewables will be more competitive is when fossil fuels run out.  Or the countries using renewables form a cartel to block those using fossil fuels.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:18:53 Mobile | Show all posts
If that is really the case then there is no need to do anything - the market will take care of it for us.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:18:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I agree, as long as that isn't then used as an excuse to avoid doing anything ourselves, as that is just a prescription for a race to the bottom.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:18:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Not precisely true - it really does depend upon:

i) the environment and the renewable used - a solar still in an African desert is going to be more efficient and effective at producing hot water than shipping in gas for example.

ii) the technology and innovation now and in the future ... energy density versus production costs, especially with advancements in materials science 'may' provide a comparable or even better cost effectiveness than fossil fuels prior to them running out, but I would agree we can't practically rely on that being the case.

Use magic Report

12345Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部