Author: nabby

What is English Nationalism?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:20:24 Mobile | Show all posts
Talking about cognitive dissonance, how do you get from the best selling papers wrap themselves in empire 2.0 (and what does that even mean?) to people wanting to recreate the British empire?

How exactly do you think "we" want to recreate the British empire?

My second point isn't flippant. People keep pushing the end of the Union as a bad thing. It's not, I would welcome it. As would you I believe?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:20:25 Mobile | Show all posts
You can check it out for yourself. View old England matches on YouTube. Those before the 1990s. Union flags are everywhere and the UK and England was pretty much interchangeable as terms.
I'm posting on a forum. If you wanted a long post on it I'm happy to do it. Simple terms was Scotland nobles bankrupted from trying to create an Empire, proles had little influence, so tough crap. Yes I could have made a longer post on it. So could you. It's posts on an AV site.
Home Secretary Jack Straw says the English had used their "propensity to violence to subjugate Ireland, Wales and Scotland"

Richard Weight, author:

"Straw's claim that the English were an innately aggressive people was not only tactless, as it was profoundly ahistorical, pandering as it did to the myth that the Scots and Welsh had been the victims of an English empire rather than partners in a British one."

Scottish Nationalism is always about pride or whatever, English nationalism usually associated with racism. Even though one of the times I've known racism was while in Scotland.

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't have an England flag on the number plate on my car. I'd expect to see it keyed.
Whatever. I don't fear a break up of the UK as I know even if Scotland ever did get a vote for Independence, we now know how we can scupper it if we want.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:20:26 Mobile | Show all posts
The Sun, probably bought as it's cheap and humorous. Daily Mail also downmarket.

If The Sun was still doing page 3 and we wasn't in a world where you can get smut on the Internet, then sales could just be down to blokes looking at tits.

Frankly I am amazed you are going off dead tree sales as being relevant this century. What decade are you posting from?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:20:27 Mobile | Show all posts
If only those newspapers had invested in that new fangled contraption called the Internet

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 01:20:28 Mobile | Show all posts
They have different editors etc. You were just quoting dead tree sales.

Daily Mail - Wikipedia

Content from the paper appears on the MailOnline website, although the website is managed separately and has its own editor.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:20:29 Mobile | Show all posts
We've had this argument before

If you can't countenance the fact that there is a large demographic of British (not solely English) nationalists who hark for Britannia ruling the waves once more (despite the mainstream media paper & online having editorial lines playing to this "audience") then I'm not just wasting my time, I'm wasting yours

Nitpicking about editors on the Daily Mail Website doesn't invalidate the point being made

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I don't care about nationalism in terms of culture.

England will be better off alone from a financial standpoint, and can set laws and policies to suit England alone.

Doesn't much bother me about being the country of Shakespeare or any of that other nonsense. Not that it's unimportant, but I equate more of that sort of thing with being British and not necessarily English. And in neither case is it any part of why I want England to be independent.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I haven't looked at the Mail's website or newspaper for a long time.

I know it's different editorials as it came up in Private Eye.

From what I can remember the newspaper tends to be what gives you cancer and what affects your mortgage.

The online version is more international and is mainly celeb gossip, clickbait, and funny YouTube type stuff.

Obviously being online it can get an international audience which is less important to a UK newspaper.

All pretty much like The Sun newspaper. Clickbait, reality TV, and celeb stuff.

There's a strong case they are both going after a Hello magazine demographic.

Nothing to do with anyone wanting an Empire though.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Well this is what Scottish Nationalists buy.

NATIONALIST READERS PREFER RIGHT-WING ENGLISH PAPERS! - Scot Buzz

But there’s another irony about the pollsters’ conclusions that Scotland is now virtually a nationalist country and that is this: the majority of nationalist supporters prefer right-wing newspapers whose editorial headquarters are in London.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:20:30 Mobile | Show all posts
Let me start you on pop/rock. How about "The Village Green Preservation Society" by The Kinks? This album is England. A true masterpiece about this country, its people and traditions.

Use magic Report

12345678Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部