Author: Bl4ckGryph0n

Disney vs God vs Mohammed

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:45:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Ok, fair enough if you hold that opinion.

I can't say I've ever felt the need that to explain that a 'true love kiss to break a spell' a) is something that isn't ok, b) is something that is real and c) is something important enough to discuss with my 'mates'....

Naturally talking about values is a good thing, personally I think there are plenty of things in the world to have that conversation about opposed to applying it to a fairy tale. It just shows we are all different.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:45:26 Mobile | Show all posts
Cheers.  Each to their own world view eh ;-)

I wouldn't have had the opinion I have now re Sleeping Beauty 10 years ago.  Thing is I'm an old man who has a very young daughter and I want to bring her up being confident and knowing that some things people may try and do to her or get her to do are not reasonable.  There is a limit to what she's seen so far but we always talk about what we see pointing out good and "bad".  Whether I'm doing it the right way?  Who knows...

To be fair in my life experience I've also seen all sorts of shocking behavior towards women, oh and guess what that included violence, and sexual assault against sleeping women among them... so raw nerve eh?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:45:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Can update some nursery rhymes. For example:

Ding dong bell,
Pussy's in the well.
Who put him in?
I did, I hate cats.

Is that politically correct?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:45:27 Mobile | Show all posts
Perhaps you need to teach her that it's a fairy tale and not a gritty rape scene?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 01:45:28 Mobile | Show all posts
On one hand obviously you're right it's not rape and I'm not suggesting that.  It's a non consensual kiss which in this day and age is problematic.

When we talk about it it normally goes along the lines of whether its ok to kiss someone without their permission.  However we then talk about whether its more important to save her life or not.  That I feel contextualizes what is going on and the kid gets it.  She may ask if Prince could have done something other than kiss snow white.

I wouldn't discuss it with her but I've received training in CPR and have ties to a country where you are legally responsible to aid someone in need to the best of your ability (as in you'll go to prison if you don't).  I wouldn't bat an eye lid about administering CPR if I felt it would help (and as I'm not a medic I may well be wrong about it).

Where i cant agree with you at all is that it's "just a fairy tale".  Firstly fairy tales are tales specifically designed to carry messages to children (the irony may be if you say times have changed and that no longer holds).  Secondly as a scientist and pedant I cannot just watch something and write it off as having no consequence whatsoever and no effect on a developing child so I feel I have go talk about it with the kid.

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部