Author: Cliff

The Trump Presidency- After the First 100 days

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 02:55:10 Mobile | Show all posts
I often hear commentators, saying, 'if we take this action we will be just like them'. This could be banning or recently torture.  I have never thought for a minute that any terrorist organisation or state looks to the US for moral guidance.
There is are different rules and double standards all around the world and we do cast a blind eye when its convenient.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:55:11 Mobile | Show all posts
Maybe not for moral guidance but what about for propaganda/recruiting purposes?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 02:55:12 Mobile | Show all posts
Possibly for people who live in the States and feel the country is turning against them. But outside, in those countries that have been banned- no way. They are so far off the scale when it comes to human rights, what America does is of little relevance.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:55:13 Mobile | Show all posts
That sounds like first-hand experience.

Believe I recognise a fellow traveller who has spent lots of time overseas possibly in countries where human life is cheap and human rights are low to non-existent.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:55:14 Mobile | Show all posts
I believe you do

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 02:55:14 Mobile | Show all posts
Should he be banned from the visiting the UK? Well the PM invited him- so it's a bit difficult to change now. The petition is getting close to a million (So we are talking Jeremy Clarkson for PM numbers)
We can condemn Trump's banning order, but he is just carrying out what he promised.
He was elected on the promise and now carrying it out.
It is the American people that wanted it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:55:15 Mobile | Show all posts
A beautiful sunny and spring like day here in Spain and I had to see Shami Chakrabarti having a sh*t fit on Sky news....Hasnt she got a report to cover up?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:55:16 Mobile | Show all posts
He's like most Presidents using executive orders to bypass Capitol Hill, but in the past executive orders have been used sparingly (you could I suppose compare them with the Parliament Acts). Trump is using them in a dictatorial way, he'll love the court cases as that will just whip his supporters up into a frenzy "The Establishment is persecuting me for trying to make America Great Again folks. It's true believe me". Then you have the militia groups just itching for a fight with the Federal Government. It's a quite combustible situation if things go in a certain direction.

He will likely issue an executive order that will breach the Constitution at some point. That's when the fireworks will really start. The Koch Brothers are not happy with Trump by the sounds of it and they often play a crucial role in getting Republicans elected in terms of money. Mid terms are around the corner, so it's conceivable the Koch Brothers will decide to not fund Republicans if they are dithering over Trump. I firmly believe the GOP will rue the day they let Donald Trump run for the nomination and ergo President.  

It comes down to choosing between what is right and what is easy. Politicians go for the easy option and ignore human rights abuses, civil wars and refugee crises if Trade/Economics is involved, while we the people consume entertainment and switch off from the news most of the time, unless something truly shocking happens (man made or natural).
Mostly those kinds of crises have barely touched the Western World up until now and natural disasters are fairly rare (the US is a bit more vulnerable due to hurricanes, tornadoes and geological processes).
But the easy option is not so easy now and the right course of action (solve the world's problems one step at a time over the long term) is counter to the anger in voters. Politicians are pragmatic creatures before morals come into the picture. The US was built upon a myth, that looks like it's crumbling into dust. They are moralistic when it suits them, and utterly without mercy if American interests are under threat i.e. Drone Bombings or Issuing Economic Sanctions.  

As for Terrorists ? This is a gift to them. It means they can peddle the "America discriminates against Muslims and only likes a certain type of people" trope to the those susceptible to the ideology of modern Jihad. Giving up certain freedoms in exchange for security is another win for Jihadists. Either our Freedoms are strong enough to withstand the onslaught or we should just wave a white flag now.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 02:55:17 Mobile | Show all posts
Unfortunately Trump has exceeded my expectations already, the fall out for those close to him and others who seek his favour will be well deserved.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 02:55:18 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh, what glee!

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部