Author: The Dark Horse

EU vote - Do you regret your decision?

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:02:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Much discussion on the ins and outs can be found in this forum   I suggest you read back beyond Friday to see how people on here think rather than asking them to repeat themselves
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:02:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Because some of us are looking much further ahead than you seem to be.

Its not all 'old grandads yearning for glory days gone by', some of us have looked at the world around us today and decided we want a better future (for all) than the one that has been mapped out for us by the EU.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:02:34 Mobile | Show all posts
With all the caveats that this a small poll, not necessarily representative and has no effect on anything, I'd like share an observation. At the time of typing this the result of the poll is extras for Stay 4.1 1.0, extras for Leave 1.0 2.1. I think thats a net swing of 2%. So that would mean no majority?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Personally I'd go for a greasy full English to assist with lubrication!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
AVF demographc cant really be aplied to the national vote though.. In here we voted something like 75% for exit so 'our' swing makes no difference at all.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
No, because the overall vote on here (according to the AVF exit poll) was 68% out 26% in, so the swing would be to 66% leave.  HTH.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I appreciate honest response! I am not saying people who voted out are racsits, but I am saying I think the misinformation pushed by the leave campaign will be the bit that bites us in the future.

I agree with investing in the future of this country, I am a very pro-NHS, Education and service led person. However it was not the EU that has destroyed any of that for us.

With politics as with religion I don't expect to convert any one with my views. I am anti-tory because my parents were and from what I have seen they are doing to the country.

I am also aware that both sides of the fence (in my life time at least) do what ever is in their best interests for the most of the time.

To be as fair as possible here is a Telegraph article on the potential truth and lies of the campaigns
A lot at the moment is hard to say! Unsurprising really.
However the larger population point you make is addressed and even before the vote, immigration was falling. Those who wanted to come from Europe were already here, and net migration will be down over the next 20 years. (All before the vote has any impact).

The NHS is severely underfunded by the Conservatives through the cuts to front line services and councils in an effort to cost cut so as not to raise tax. They are the party of the tax cut. Cutting taxes sounds great in principle but actually only really benefits the rich, who with the conservatives are fairly well protected. Even with the latest out cry from George Osbourne to do with Apple/Google/Amazon etc and their tax avoidance techniques the higher tax loopholes many of us will never get to experience are left open and exploitable.  

This article from before the vote was an eye opener for me. I don't disagree with the views of the working class to want more to help them, but actually by backing the elite pushing through the current state of affairs, we will lose so many of the workers rights the EU protects. A revolt like the one we have just had should not be led by the leading class, the Westminster elite and Tory business leaders. I know many Leave voters hate Farage too so this is a minor generalisation however, he is an ex-banker and right wing tory (again ex) that has positioned himself to the "left" of the divide as a person of the working class.

For all his flaws, Corbyn is about the only politician left of centre at the moment, which explains why so many hate him. He is where Neil Kinnock was and frankly we all know how he did for Labour!

I am not a Labour supporter either, I have always been a Liberal Democrat, and frankly the deserved the beating they took for the alliance with the conservatives in the previous government. I hope this can rally them to some sort of 2nd party for the UK under new leadership but that too remains to be seen.

With the Tories at the helm they will not invest in public infrastructure that you so desire. History tells us this from the Miners, Trains and now even schools with the Academies and "community" led schools they have developed since coming to power. The cut of student grants and fundings.

I understand there is not an unlimited pot of money to pay for all this, but tax cuts and privitisation are not the way to do it either. There are plenty of governmental loopholes and legislation that could be fixed to help right the ship, but they will never put them through despite the cry of helping the general public. I truly believe most politicians are (gove being an exception) inherently trying to help their constituents and the country. However when they are elected the mess the face changes what they can realistically do.

I am sorry this is so long and now of topic, but I think Europe is not the bad guy despite all the red tape many think or have been sold it to be. In time we can see if we can make it on our own (if it ever truly happens).
I think the UK won't leave in the end as the referendum is not legally binding and still has plenty of times to fall down. Europe has a lot of soul searching to do now that it is in this state, but I think that they will vilify us if we do eventually finish the leave procedure as a warning to all other far right parties in Europe hoping for the same result as us.

If I am proved wrong at the end of this, I will not have egg on my face because the country has righted itself which is all I care about, however those who voted leave have essentially a bigger fall if things do become as bad as has been predicted.

I am a scientist at heart and will be happy to accept results based on evidence and facts and will change my "belief system" if this all works out in the end.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:02:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Ah. Right, didn't see that poll so didn't vote in it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
"However the larger population point you make is addressed and even before the vote, immigration was falling. Those who wanted to come from Europe were already here, and net migration will be down over the next 20 years. (All before the vote has any impact)"

"I am a scientist at heart and will be happy to accept results based on evidence and facts and will change my "belief system" if this all works out in the end."

- You've stumbled at the first hurdle (misinformed 'facts') and your whole evidence based reasoning is way off target as a result..

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Do you accept your belief that 'immigration was falling (before the vote)' as misinformed or not?

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部