123456Next
Back New
Author: Stuart Wright

Has anyone got any experience of thermodynamic solar panels?

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 03:55:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Why? You don't need two systems. Thermodynamic panels outperform solar panels. If anything air or ground source heat pumps work better than solar.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:55:49 Mobile | Show all posts
No Jason solar panels do not need the sun they need light there is a difference. My panels still produce electricity when it is cloudy that's the point I was trying to make and believe me I have done my research over many years.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:55:50 Mobile | Show all posts
Oh and I don't feel guarded about any particular technology. I freely admit my ultimate decision to purchase solar PV was greed not to save the planet. If it wasn't for the feed in tariff I would never have bought them as I feel they are far and away efficient enough. My next purchase will probably be a ground source system as I have been looking into them for several years and I have a large garden to accommodate. But ideally if money was no object I would have a mix of all systems.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:55:51 Mobile | Show all posts
I have 2 systems installed a 250ltr DHW system that runs at 500 Watts and a 12 panel Solar block that runs a 300ltr buffer tand and all my radiators which are now all aluminium ones. I have a 4Kwh PV system that I had installed 2 years ago so I get the 46p per kWh top rate FIT.
I had a big dicision to make a year ago as I needed to get rid of a big floor standing boiler to have a new kitchen installed. Do I pay £3000 for a new gas boiler and emersion tank or £20000 for Solar Thermodynamic. I'm glad I went all electric now as the income from the PV panels pays for all my heating, hot water, and cooking all the electrical use plus £700 in the bank.
True it is not as hot and instant as gas but as it is "free" I can leave it running longer to keep the house at a constant temperature.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:55:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I had 2 seperate systems installed as I did not want a 3.5kWh pump running all summer to heat DHW when a 500Watt one will do it. The most I have used on a winters day is about 40kWh normally runs between 20-30kWh a day depending on weather conditions, but I am not worried as my solar PV FIT pays for it all.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:55:52 Mobile | Show all posts
I've just been to the Ideal Home Exhibition and a company there is promoting these panels at a special installed price of £4000 for 1 panel, 300 litre tank and compressor. They claim one panel will be ample to provide hot water for our family of five. As we need to replace our water tank and find a more economic solution for hot water than the current oil boiler (no mains gas) this is obviously very tempting. I understand the technology and know it should work in theory. The question is, does anyone out there have very recent experience they can share please?  

As some others have said, these panels are made in Portugal but sell very well in Nordic countries.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 03:55:53 Mobile | Show all posts
I have been using Thermodynamics for over a year now and I am very happy with the 2 systems, especially the DHW Eco 250 1 panel, 250ltr, compressor one.
The only disadvantage is the noise level, as I have both systems installed in my integral garage.
I have been taking energy readings all year to justify my investments and they are paying for themselves.
I have a kWh meter for my PV, my heating and hotwater and of course incoming kWh meter.
So I can see and plot all the data.
Worst case Winter 2012/13 energy bill was £150, summer £35, these include heating, hotwater, cooking, anything electrical as I have had my gas disconnected.
Electric used 2013 £1032, income fron 4kWh PV panel = £2010.
So for me they are working very well.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:55:54 Mobile | Show all posts
Been of line for a while had 4 kw pv installed and thermodynamics 200l tank system had problems from day one but all fixed now as it was a faulty tank . have mine set at auto so if it is to cold for eco operation it will give it a boost with emersor since it has been working well lots of hot water and a lot less oil . This winter has not been as cold so I would have expected oil consumption to reduce but not as much as it has once system working properly.When we shower in morning by night water is hot again it takes about 3 to 4 hrs to reheat tank from morning and if all hot water is used eg from new fit about 6 to 7 hours to heat just with panel no emersor . During  the daylight the solar panels are supplying power to heating the water. so that is a win win situation.
In discussions with supplier for compensation.  

At this time I am happy with the system now it is working correctly

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:55:55 Mobile | Show all posts
I am looking into alternative heating methods for my home.  I was interested in your experience with the Thermodynamic system.  How has it  been over the last year?  Would you recommend it?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 03:55:56 Mobile | Show all posts
They are technically classed as Solar Assisted Heat Panels. They do not need to go on a roof so the chances of snow getting on them is nil. Do not fit them onto north facing walls. They are ideal for our climate. They collect ambient outside temperature and will still be functional down to -15 deg. Apart from the small amount of electricity needed to power the compression pump that is it...as has already been said...fit and forget
However, they are only good for direct hot water really IMHO. They will heat swimming pools to a constant temperature but there are many factors to take into consideration when surveying and you will really need a large cluster of panels
If you are looking to heat a home and water then I suggest that you look at infrared thermastores
Example..instant hot water to the temp you require. Cost...4 bed house, 1 bath, one en-suite, 2 adults and 2 children.... average family use.... if you do not have solar panels then average cost for hot water AND heating radiators around £500 per year. ... if you do then around £350
No anuual service checks and charges..water never touches the boiler so no furry...all done with pulsating infrared light. NOW THAT'S WHERE THE FUTURE LIES

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部