123456Next
Back New
View: 1317|Reply: 51

Solar Panels by a Novice- Too Many Considerations?

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:00:39 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I have started this thread to give people who like me who have not yet invested in a Solar Panel system but trying to pick the best options.

I had actually signed up for a 4k 16 panel kit using 16 micro inverters £9k, so upper price bracket, then we had WatchDog slating a company who may or may not be rouges, but parting shot was a system should cost no more than £5k

Fir safety i have now cancelled, because boy is it hard to absorb all the information to get to the right configuration before you can even hunt for a price.

Not yet found a generally recommended make of solar PV panel over others, i have an installer booked for survey who uses Zannusi panels, big household name but no idea in this field where they stand.

i read a thread yesterday on another site for green energy (can i link?) about pro's and cons of single string, double string and micro inverters with devotee's of each fiercely fighting their corners, each camp insisting the other camp contributors were all but clueless - hmmmm!

It also covered two popular micro converters, and a war again broke out over which one was best - Hmmmmmmm!

As a popcorn eating spectator looking not to make a big expensive mistake this is my take of it, after near going snow-blind reading, it seems to me every variation has its merits and pitfalls so you pay your money and you basically take a punt, more info you read the higher the uncertainty rises.

Any mistakes below apologised for

Economics
A single inverter (SI) has the advantage of lower initial capital cost, but is less efficient than multiple micro inverters, so will not give as high a return. I treat this fir the kess technically minded as having a 16 cylinder engine with either a single shared carb or an individual carb for each cylinder.

Many say you only need micro inverters (MI) if your roof is shaded in any way, as MI will tweak or turn off individual panels while shaded or faulty, with Si's if a single panel is faulty or shaded all panels will switch off on that string (can have one or two strings), with a single string thats everything until fixed, 2 string half of the system is down, so perhaps a 2 string CI is a good compromise here between  a single and MI's?

Safety.
This kit in most cases is fixed to your roof, solar paneks generate DC Voltage, the output of multiple panels is then linked together in series to increase overal voltage, think like cells in a torch you need 3 1.5 cells to make 4.5 volts.

On traditional CI systems the wiring is run from panel to panel in a chain called a series string, presenting around 300 volts DC to the CI for inverting to AC. the CI will likeky not be out on the roof so nit subjected to weather extremes, and easier available for servicing, a consideration of labour cist after warranty makes this prudent beforehand.

MI's are attached to the panels which are on the roof, and so subject to all the weather can throw at them, including extremes of temperature, there is a gap between the panels and roof, on hot days they will be in the equivalent of a George Forman Grill due to durect and reflected heat from the roof.

In an ideal world properly installed without damage to casings ir makers errors etc. they should be ok, but I'm pragmatic and expect my system to attract every fault possible along with 'well i have not seen that before' comments from the service engineers as i watch £'s floating away.

In my case i have very easy access to my roof, but it should enter your thoughts if you have a more difficult access to your solar panels and affect decisions about MI faults.

Seems a decision to make is will the extra cost of micro inverters be covered by the extra returns, and within that will the MI break down more than SI units costing energy generation, so there is n educated gamble to be considered here.

If you buy your system using a home loan be careful to add up the exoected profits then take away the cost if the kit and loan and interest. You won't physically realise serious money until 10 years in and you loan has expired. You will save money and seems £500 - £700 PA is not unusual.

So mine was set to kick in after 10 years, to that point i would 'make' a profit of £1200.00 for a £9k system with Total outlay £21K, to me that don't add up to a good investment. The reo will claim about increasing energy prices but remember doing the math that was already within the profit predictions.

I will then be 75. if i last that long i likely won't remember the 20 year warranty if it ever fails.

My conclusion is if you can buy outright that's best, but if your going the home loan route then get below £5.5k and get the best spec (what ever that is?) for money.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:00:40 Mobile | Show all posts
Not sure about solar panels but you may be better off investing in a new keyboard. Yours seems to be dropping words and letters ;-)

From what I can make out unless your at home during the day and using a fair amount of power its probably not worth investing.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:00:41 Mobile | Show all posts
It's too ***

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:00:41 Mobile | Show all posts
A better analogy would be a single coil feeding the spark plugs versus single coil packs on each cylinder one on each plug, subject to the heat of the engine.

In 33 years of motoring I have replaced 1 old fashioned coil which cost me £15.   I have replaced 6 individual coil packs at a cost of about £40 each.  I know which technology I prefer

I can see the benefit of the micros regarding shade etc, but if you don't have shade then perhaps they are a solution looking for a problem?  

I love the scaremongering tales of whole arrays shutting down because a crow perched on your roof, cast a shadow and the single inverter threw a wobbly   

Call me old fashioned but I like the idea of a big easily serviceable inverter box in the loft, even if it is a few percent less efficient.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:42 Mobile | Show all posts
lol, in my defence i did appoligise in advance for ANY mistakes

I actually typed most of that this morning in between several phone calls, near the end everything locked up.

TBF the sales girl did ask this question, but i replied we both work - i'm self employed and my hours are erratic.

On this point i was told by my nephew to use the heavy kit during strongest daylight periods, confusingly the 2nd Rep said only use one heavy duty unit at a time, and seems to contradict. I guess you should not use more than you are actually generating from the panels?

Alan

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:00:42 Mobile | Show all posts
You're not thinking of the polar bear cubs

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:00:42 Mobile | Show all posts
Correct, it's only free power if you are using only the solar power.

The ideal situation is you use every bit you produce, but only if it's useful to you.  If you have a 4kW array there is no point turning on a 2kW fan heater and a 2kW air con, just to use it up

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:42 Mobile | Show all posts
i think ducussing coil packs are even less likely to be understood especially by the kettering ignition class of 1948 and by the more senior readers tbh, but now having both analogies with your help can't hurt, so can only be to the good .

To micro or not to micro omg is that ever the question?

the advantages and disadvantages are hotly debated in several forums, i can see the advantages of trimming or bypassing a faulty panel, a more expensive option and they can also cause serious RFI (which radio hams will complain about).

I spoke to another firm today, and was strongly advised against using micro-inverters, "stay well clear" was his no compromise message. His advice is to use a 'new' idea from SunSolar (or simething like that) who compete against microinverters, go for individual controllers (not micro inverters) going back to a single inverter, so the mud thickens further as to whats really best!

Whichever installer you speak to your dealing with their personal preferences, i know i select equipment i like to use against other possibke as capable kit. can be ease if fitting, longevity and so on, and some will select on dicount received and extra mark up to be made and partly why forums flourish i suppose.

Alan

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:00:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Steady on there, I'm one of the "more senior members" and there are some on here much older than me that will also know exactly what a coil pack is

Anyway, I'm not aware of the new individual controller tech, so can't help/comment on them.

My gut feeling is that the older technology is tried and tested and will be more likely to last long enough for you to get you to your break even point.  Having just this minute replaced a £7 LED bulb that has in no way saved me £6.50 in electricity over its 50p old tech one.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:43 Mobile | Show all posts
Many thanks for that, but don't you paid for what you use?

Alan

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部