123456Next
Back New
Author: blankscreen

Solar Panels by a Novice- Too Many Considerations?

[Copy link]
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:45 Mobile | Show all posts
Unfirtunateky i don't know for sure but i assume not as they actually have got under the panels.

Before we had our conservatory we had a lean to shelter on our patio, a paur if doves decided to nest in the frame. We left it the first year so the grandkids could see the young develope and study them. Next year they or their young, came back to the same spot. Because of the previous mess they made we removed the nest, but they rebuilt it. Ended up using that plastic mesh sold in rolls for gutters to keep them out, and they stiil tried for several weeks to nest.

I wiill ask installers what they will do if anything to prevent this problem, and get in writing response times.

Alan
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:00:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I've never seen netting on an installation around here, I'll have to look.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Wow, how to complicate a fairly straightforward subject.
Do you have a south facing roof? Yes, then whack 4K of panels on.
Do you have any shading issues? Other properties, trees for example? No, then you just need a single string inverter, try Power One or Sunny Boy.
East/West roof, stick 2K on each and a 2 string inverter, so each aspect can work happily independently.
Lots of shading issues, fix them or don't get solar.
I've got PV (JA Solar Chinese brand), 2K on both East and West aspects and Thermal (Worcester Bosch) East facing for the morning sun, and it took less time to make my mind up than to read this thread.

Finally, I'm in Scotland and its never sunny and I'm still happy with my installations.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Fantastic post

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:46 Mobile | Show all posts
I only got into solar after a cold call last week, and got quoted 9k, had to do a whole lot of reading since then or i would not be able to have seen your take on it.

I could go out and buy kit like i used to buy wine in the hyper market - lacking any knowledge, selection was based on the shape of the bottle being useful to make a table lamp.

Guess what, we bought so much wine that tasted like vinegar, but real vinegar is so much cheaper, and we never ever made a lamp out of any of those ruddy bottles.

Wine can be fairly cheap to experiment with, do you not agree Solar Systems are not - unless you have a lot of disposable income that is? So i thankyou on behalf of other confussed members for your recommendations.

I'm sincerely happy your system and knowledgeable based approach worked for you, unfortunately, i like many others are not so well blessed or aware, but we share one common aim in that we certainly do not want an exspensive SPE (Solar Powered Elephant) in/on our rooves.

Being i assume a self instal, how/did you manage to get FIT set up? are you registered and able to meet all those requirements?

Alan

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
We are trying to help not hinder.  Stephen has given you excellent advice as to how to proceed.  Is there a problem?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:00:47 Mobile | Show all posts
Both installs done by approved and registered companies, absolutely everything is legit.  I did loads and I mean loads of research into the benefits and pros and cons of PV and FITS, and solar thermal for hot water. But, at the end of the day, you need the right roof, if it's south facing and shadow free then great. The difference between the best panels and the worst is around 20%. Get something half decent with a good, trusted brand inverter and you'll do great. I don't ever worry what those £12K Sanyo panels would be generating, when the ones I have do just nicely. I really am trying to help, but a lot of the double glazing type installers will try to bamboozle you, I was hoping to make it really simple. Anything else, let me know, I'll answer as best as I can.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:47 Mobile | Show all posts
if this thread bores or frustrates anyone i appologies and ask please do not read it further to save your stressing out, meanwhile many as uniformed and ignorant as me will be a i hope more enlightenned and so better guided by the info other members have kindly given, even allowing us to catch up - perhaps .

While it might be patently simple to those who have prior extensuve knowledg, those that have no idea or prior interest like me flounder. In my own trade i coukd rip anyone a new rear entrance, that don't make me a genious or superior to people outside my trades, only a mere expert.

many post's have done a lot to enlighten me and others, i thank all those who have helped, outside of hobbyists i really doubt most yet to take the plung will self instal, just because they cannot connect to the grid and get FIT benefits, lack tools or mmanual skills.

Mentioning i've been getting quotes shows i won't be installing, even though i have the skills and tools to do sio, so what was the point of listing his favoured kit like some demigid in a thread, from the outset i openly state i'm a complete novice and trying to make sense of the vast ammount of information available?

Solar panels now come in four constructions, thin film that can be flexible, and si on.i never knew that before and the mind meld was an obvious wast of time, is it not natural to seek information, and after doing so for the guidance of other like minded useless lost souls to make a thread where the title attracts them?

In that post a single inverter is advocated, great so now having biasted please exsplain in irrivocable terms why that is, agains micro-inverters to make that single decission as simple as suggested.

look elsewhere as said earlier there is strong opinions for and against, saying it is simple is simply not to a novices, and tbh a tad rude to berate us.

I install and design all types security kit, if you ask for advice or help in that field, i can offer 47 years experience, and i will give my reasons fir sekection hiw ever obvious. I'm not totally devoid of technical skills, neither do i take risks on relatively expensive equipment without researching very carefully in cases i am not sure of. as in how many hours and hiw mucch panels will generate for per day, effects of snow, ice, rain should i go on or simply just blunder forward?

This time last week i thought it was not even viable to have solar kit due to the orientation of my roof, apex is about 4 degrees od magnetic north east, to the point i was wary of being sold something that would be a near total failure = so, i'm ignorant of modern solar equipment capabilities and very cautious, is that a sin? i see it as common sense, there is nothing simpler than that in my mind.

Alan

energyinformative.com is worth a look at, no need to register and give fairly clear explanations of the components, fors and against competing technologies.

Alan

if you did loads of research as i am doing just like you, then surely it was not as simple as you claim in this post, so why your comment when i'm doing exactely as you have befire me?? ?

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 04:00:47 Mobile | Show all posts
thats the kind if excellent reply i crave, i don't want any wars breaking out .

Did you specify the kit to the installer,  if so, were their any 'caviats' as that option had not ocured tio me. in my game i fit my choice as i carry spares and know it inside out. If i fit the clients preferred kit i advise shoukd it go wrong labour will be charged and it will be for them to get it replaced, and fir me to return to fit it, and that applies even if they buy the kit i specify, just to save a few pence on my markup.

Sort of exsplains the risks taken and why i charge a markup to the super tight clients, if they don't get the hint then i walk, as such deaks always go sour if there is a slightest problem.

Alan

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:00:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Some installers use just one type of panel but my installer gave the choice of 3. I got the cheaper one as it was all I could afford at the time £8k for 3.6kwh. My friend paid for the better panels £9.5k for 2.8kwh. My system has produced 20% more than his over the time it has been fitted. In the 3 year sits been fitted mine has already paid for itself but that is on the old larger FIT of 48p a unit.
I think now the tarrif is lower it is more important to get the more efficient panels but not at the expense of losing all that benefit in too high an instal cost.
Bear in mind as I said on your original thread though the maximum you can get is a 4kwh system for the FIT so the more efficient the panel is it is just going to take up less room you are still buying a 4kwh system. Yes it may make a very small amount more in low light conditions but I doubt it would make £4k worth of difference over the life of your system.

Use magic Report

123456Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部