Author: ukprometheus

how much a month do you pay for electric

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:02:54 Mobile | Show all posts
I pay about £130 a month for both gas and elec looking at my bills that is probably split about £55 for elec and £75 for gas. We have a timber frame bungalow about 150 sq metres footprint. I'm in the middle of topping up the insulation to 270mm so will be interested to see if that reduces the gas central heating cost. I have a couple of spare 8sq m rolls of 170mm insulation so may double up over the lounge.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

We pay £90 pcm on a duel fuel budget plan with EDF, i use their app to send my readigs in every month, this tells me my balance immediately.

I have done this since they wanted to increase our payments to £140.00 pcm, which i refused point blank.

I am currently £110.00 in credit after some of the coldest months, so will be backing down their regular payment, especially now they are reducing their charges by such a 'massive' ammount.

We have a 3/4 bed brick built bungalow, link detached. heat by gas, cook electric, we dumped the bath abd turned it into a utility room with a sink, as we tended to shower (electric).

I boarded out the loft for starage, this also acts to form air pockets of fibre glass insulation between the rafters and add's to the loft insulation.

Cavity wall filling is surorisingly effective, i worried it migh cause damp but no sign of it in 3 years, and had made the whole home more comfy.

Changing from a gas slot in cooker to a NEF induction hob, and Neff double oven with timers, is i'd say one if the best investment moves i made for economy. The speed the hob heats a pan of water is near microwave performance, nearly all the go's into heating the pan whichthen heats the food.

This mean far less heat is lost around the sides as is with gas, lift the oan iff the hob immidiaty stops drawing power and turns off after 45 seconds if not replaced back onto the hob.

How often do you move a frying pan off the heat to answere the front door or the phone? Think through how many times the ring us left burning away while the oot us washed out for another task, or swapping oans around.

It's things like this that save little bits of energy, that soon adds up to very big savings. With Gas (My Wife fought toothe abd nail to keep) you tend to turn it full up intill it bubbles then diwn again, not with induction, depending what your cooking obviously, take boiling eggs as an example, you get to know what setting is best, so you set to say 6 or 7, and time that ring for 6 minutes, knowing you won't boil over or for too long.

Food and iversills will nit cook ir burn onti the hob, which is nothing else a deal maker, you just need a quick wioe pver, not 2 hours with costic soda and Mr Muscle during the match!

Just waiting for an induction oven now .

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
I had had a shock over Christmas.

Got a gas bill for £336 for the month! Nobody could work it out, I had the meter checked and the boiler checked but all was fine.

It was only as I was reading the technical parts of my bill and how they calculate my usage did I see that OVO (who have been excellent) had my meter down as an imperial meter when in fact it was a metric meter.

Therefore all my gas consumption was being multiplied by a factor of 2.83!

This is all because my previous supplier npower did not update the details when they did a meter swap.  Can I also state that npower are completely useless, the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life!

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:02:55 Mobile | Show all posts
do seem crazy they don't all work on the same sceme for calculations. On our supplier bill it helpfully shows how they work out the gas calculations - well f'g  yipee!  

why not simply do that calculation then show me how much a meter measured unit is actually costing me?

lets face i can have no effect on that calculation other than reducing our consumption!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
i know this topic has been dormant for a while but always an interesting topic.

my payment is £50 per month for electric but we don't have any gas appliances so electric shower, cookers etc and a wood stove for winter, plus some electric heaters to supplement

Use magic Report

~£2-230 per quarter for Electric

Use magic Report

If you eant ti save money my hot tip is to have the BG Hive installed (or simular). Especially if you have kids who whack the heating on, then go out forgetting to turn it down.

you can get emails if you temp is above or below set limits, weather suddenly changes you can boost it from your phone, i find it superb.

On dishwashers, it is researched as more economical to run with a 3/4 load than wash by hand and far dar more hygienic than drying with a tea towel.

Just remmember it is not a waste disposal unit, scoop of major left over food, we do a quick rinse as we stow the items in the racks, and loosen any more stubborn items.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:02:56 Mobile | Show all posts
Only I have control of the heating in my house so it would not benefit me having a hive.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
Husband to wife: ‘Put your coat on, I’m going to the pub.’  
Wife: ‘Oh that’s nice, are you taking me for a drink?’  Husband: ‘No, I’m turning the heating off.’

Use magic Report

roflmao!

i have the earier Hive, on my wish list is a way to hook it to my intruder system (which i install professionally) so when the house is empty and alarm full armed, it turns down the heating.

Not sure if the latest model has this, but even a simple wireless remote would reduce the complexity for those who fear the menu's on the Hive controller and not good at using texts.

Alan

Use magic Report

Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部