Author: Wahreo

Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 04:37:48 Mobile | Show all posts
Apparently not, the type of beer is not that critical
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:49 Mobile | Show all posts
Well if you believe that there are no benefits in terms of flavour then why not just use water?

I however cooked a similar thing last week with cider, onions and bouquet garni and there was definitely more than a trace of added flavour. So if you believe that there are benefits in flavour I would suggest that the actual beer does matter greatly.

In lieu of choosing a beer that you personally like I can recommend speckled hen for starters.

Cheers,

Tony.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:50 Mobile | Show all posts
I am undecided as to which beer makes a difference, I wasn't stating that using beer made no difference, as tomorrow is my first attempt. Tomorrow I will be using Becks, as Speckled Hen deserves to be in my glass not a chicken.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:51 Mobile | Show all posts
I didn't mean to imply that you were. Just positing questions in general.

However I have never subscribed to the idea that some things are too good to be used for cooking if cooked the right way. I was often told that some cuts of meat are too good for a curry but having had so many curries with poor quality meat I tend to disagree.

I respectfully must therefore disagree with your assertion that Speckled Hen is too good to use. Whilst I am not a great fan of Becks anyway I would rather drink it than use it to spoil a chicken. Likewise Speckled Hen deserves to not only be in my glass but also in my chicken. I can understand your choice if on a tight budget but otherwise why not both? I am willing to suggest that if you were to taste a Becks chicken and a Speckled Hen chicken in a blind taste test challenge supreme thingy that you would prefer the latter and agree with my position.

I would be very interested in your results!

Cheers,

Tony.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:52 Mobile | Show all posts
what does it mean by "indirect"? how can i make the smoker an indirect heat source?
will do something like this - he soaks the wood chips, so will do that too.
Hickory-smoked Beer-can Chicken — a geek trapped in the kitchen

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:53 Mobile | Show all posts
Indirect just means not directly over the heat source if you're using a smoker, all things being equal, it'll be indirect by default.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:37:54 Mobile | Show all posts
No cooking for me today - off to Grillstock in Manchester

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:55 Mobile | Show all posts
Hi Guys!

Tonight I will be kicking off my first attempt at pulled pork.

I'll be using a Brinkmann's Smoke 'n' grill, lump wood charcoal lumps (planning to use the minion method), hickory chips, iGrill and a 4lb pork shoulder joint bought from from the butcher this morning which I've just rubbed using this recipe http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/big_bad_beef_rub.html

Any suggestions?

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:37:56 Mobile | Show all posts
You appear to have covered all the bases.

Just give yourself plenty of time and don't stress too much over grill temps, shoulder is very forgiving, sit back and enjoy a few beers!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:37:57 Mobile | Show all posts
Just got back from a local farm open day.
A guy was selling hot dogs from a smoker.
Wow, what a taste.
I got chatting to him, the sausages were just normal, good quality butchers sausages and all the flavour came from the smoker. He said that silver birch is his favourite. Well worth £2.
And its convinced me that when I get my new Weber, I'll be making a smokenator for it.

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部