Author: Wahreo

Barbecues are bloody brilliant Part 3

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:37:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Weather was rubbish so binned off the planned day at the coast and did a bbq for the mrs, kids and mrs' parents on the WSM and OTP.

The usual 'head-line' bbq meat is frozen (brisket, short ribs and pork loin ribs) and as it was too late to defrost and set up for a long WSM cook I decided to used up what was in the fridge & freezer and took a trip to the supermarket for some quick to cook bbq food.

No pictures I'm afraid.

OTP
Buffalo wings with Frank's hot sauce & butter (the only way to do buffalo wings)
Wild boar & apple sausage
Lamb & mint sausage
Mackerel
Sardines
Homemade pizza

WSM
2 small spatchcock jerk chickens

Greek salad with chopped olive dressing.

Ice cream, ice lollies, sorrel (drink made with flowers of caribbean sorrel plant) & cold beer.

The fish I found at the back of the freezer and it had been there for nearly 12 months!! It cooked up a treat and everything went down really well.

The Mrs & her mother are cleaning up the kitchen, kids are quiet, The Mrs' Dad is sparko on the sofa.

Today, my work is done.

Tomorrow I will knock up some more pizza dough and do a couple of pizzas on the OTP with the left overs from today.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:37:59 Mobile | Show all posts
Great thread(s) , although it's just cost me a Weber 57cm one touch premium.  Bought from a local Go Outdoors where they will price match plus 10%.

So, a 6lb shoulder of pork has been bought along with some bits for the rub.  I'm guessing it'll be about 10 hours with the lid thermometer showing about 140C with an indirect cook.  Any other last minute advice?  What about cutting it in half for a slightly quicker cook time?

I don't have any wood chips for this attempt so I hope this doesn't matter too much - I do have some pine and mahogany wood in the garage but I guess that's not a suitable alternative

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 04:38:00 Mobile | Show all posts
Wrap in foil when the meat hits the stall.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:38:01 Mobile | Show all posts
Chaps, before I collapse into a drunken stupor thanks for all the advice on the beer butt chicken it was bloody tasty.

Indirect all the way.....crispy, moist.....and sleep zzzzx

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:38:01 Mobile | Show all posts
i have found my dads webber funnel to use to light the lumpwood etc, but it appears to just be a large tube with a wire towards the bottom which goes up in a spiral shape - is there supposed to be some kind of insert? surel if i put the lighter blocks and lumpwood in it, it will just tall through?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:38:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Don't bother with lighter blocks they are not needed.

Fill the chimney with charcoal, stuff the underside of the chimney with wads  scrunched up paper (I tear strips off the bag the charcoal comes in), place this on your charcoal grate and light the paper with a match. After 20 or 30 minutes or so your charcoal will be ready.

There are probably videos about, there are videos for most stuff online.

Edit: Here you go

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:38:02 Mobile | Show all posts
just found this, which shows what you described. although i think he turned it out a little early

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:38:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Didn't do it over night in the end as the wife had to go to work today. Instead it went on at about 0800 this morning.

I've just taken it off and here is the fella! I've wrapped it in foil and towels and am resting it. Meanwhile I've also made a kick ass BBQ sauce!

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 04:38:04 Mobile | Show all posts
well, my bb didn't happen today as the weather is absolutely gash - so told my friends not to make the journey down. proper ****** off. 9 days into June and we have only seen about 10 warm days this year

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 04:38:05 Mobile | Show all posts
The missus is going away for a week so i decided to make myself pulled pork so i have leftovers for dinner next week...

This is 3.3lbs.  I just put a simple rub on, and not too much of it as i don't want to over power the meat.

My method in the smoker is to put just under 3/4 of a chimney of lit coals in, and then over the top some unlit coals

That's pecan wood in there

After about 25 mins the temp is holding steady at about 225

So on it goes.

Now I'll wait a few hours then take a look

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部