View: 1467|Reply: 36

Gluten free food

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:08:05 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
Hi, is anyone one on here on gluten free diet? I was diagnosed three yrs ago as having severe intolerance to a sub protein in gluten, so have had to completely cut wheat, barley and rye out of my diet, at first thought it would be difficult, but three yrs down the line have managed to change diet without any major difference apart from the cost of free from food. There's certain foods miss, ie Chinese chicken curries, but on the whole I can substitute like for like, the major chain supermarkets cater for my needs, and as long as I read the labels I've not had a reaction for a while, if there's anyone else in my shoes on this forum share your experience with me.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:08:06 Mobile | Show all posts
I'm not but starting to think I may have an intolerance and have to wait 80 odd days for my appointment with the gastro after being referred by docs. Trying to keep a food diary to document but I'm not really sure whare to start.

I don't think wheat should be an issue but I do eat sandwiches for lunch so will need to find an alternative. Dinners should be ok as I already eat a varied diet of meat, fish, veg and rice. Pizza, pasta etc are out of the window
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:08:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I was suspected of being celiac around 12 months ago but after numerous tests and “probes” I was given all clear

Various things set of my stomach / digestive issues

I can eat shredded wheat fine but weetabix really upsets me
Full roast dinners as a rule are ok, but gravy / bread sauce makes things worse
Walkers crisps will upset me
I’m fine with Chinese food but lot of Indian causes reaction
Beer, I’m fine with
Coffee, complete out of question, I’m throwing up within half hour of having one

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:08:07 Mobile | Show all posts
I am a coeliac and I take these when there is a risk of contamination GluteGuard® for gluten digestion. Available now, only at glutagen.com
Just going to bed but I will message later.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:08:08 Mobile | Show all posts
Sounds like you probably have IBS then, download the app from here Starting the Low FODMAP Diet | Monash FODMAP                                                                     - Monash Fodmap cut out everything that is red then after 2-3 weeks if your stomach has settled reintroduce things to find out what you can and can’t have. My dietician at the hospital told me about it despite her bosses not wanting her to because they didn’t have the resources to monitor it. Worth a try though.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:08:09 Mobile | Show all posts
I have found that things are getting a lot better even in the 5-6 years since I was diagnosed. I have noticed a lot of supermarket own brand foods are replacing flour with rice flower such as in crisp flavourings. I use Bisto Best gravy as that is naturally gluten free though the cheaper brand isn’t. A lot of pubs and restaurants are becoming more aware and even my local Chinese and Indian takeaway are good if I mention it.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:08:10 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks.  My mum has IBS and having had bad stomachs all my life (from one extreme to the other without too much detail) the doctors have always just said “it’s ibs, nothing we can do” until various things caused my current gp to send me for more tests which all cane back clear including full upper and lower stomach probes

I’ve often looked at the fodmap things but sometimes some seem to contradict others and also some foods on the red side seems to cause me no harm whilst some on green do.  However that’s probably just an assumption as I guess it could be delayed reaction to something I thought caused no harm but did

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:08:11 Mobile | Show all posts
As I say, everybody is different and what one person can have and can’t depends vastly. It is based on the sugars (I have acid reflux and it’s a misconception that acidic food causes it, it’s the types of sugars in food). My big no no is Apples and ripe bananas which probably for thirty years I have had at least one a day. I reintroduced mushrooms, garlic and onions and I am ok with them as long as the onions aren’t burnt.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:08:11 Mobile | Show all posts
I honestly believe my IBS was probably due to the damage caused by my coeliac disease. I look back and I probably had some symptoms when I was about 28/29 so nearly 20 years of damage before diagnosis. Felt like a new man when I changed to a gluten free diet after 2 weeks. But I have since gone down hill again due to the IBS. Having tests now for more problems so waiting game.

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:08:12 Mobile | Show all posts
PS one thing I missed was Fish and Chips. I now have 2 Papa’s Fish and Chips relatively close by so that itch gets scratched once every couple of months. I miss pork pies though. I can get some from a company near me but not as good as my favourite Pork Farms. If you are ever in Whitby most of the F&C shops do gluten free there.

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部