View: 524|Reply: 12

Suggest a daily workout please

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:30 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
So I'm pushing hard to lose weight again.  After dropping 65lbs a few years ago, I got lazy and put 45lbs back on.  Now that I'm trying to lose it again I'm remembering how bloody hard it was!

I'm keeping my diet in check, cutting out sugary food and drink, keeping carbs fairly low and watching my portion size.  Dropped 10lbs so far over about a month but now that the initial easy loss (after being off the wagon) has gone it's getting tougher.

I have a spin bike, treadmill and weights bench at home so I've started working on those in the morning before work.  I also do BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu) 2-3 times a week which is a great strength and cardio test.

My question is, what is the best workout I can fit into about 40 minutes in the mornings?  Currently I do about 10 minutes on the treadmill (covering about 1.5km), and finish up with 10 minutes on the bike (about 7km).

In between those 2 I do some weights.  Both to increase muscle, and also to get stronger so I can compete better in BJJ.  I have pretty poor upper body strength at the minute so I'm starting low.  I do 3 sets of 10 bench presses with 40kg on the bar.  In between those sets I do 3 sets of 10 dumbell curls with just 10kg each.

My goal is simply weight loss.  I'm not looking to get ripped and muscled, although I do understand that adding some muscle will aid the weight loss.  I'm only 5'11" and almost 38 years old so I'm being realistic.  When I lost all the weight a few years back I went from 250 (although my heaviest ever was 260) down to 185lbs.  Based on how I looked and felt then, my target weight is 170lbs.  I would be happy to be around 175/180 long term but I want to reach 170 to prove it to myself.

Any suggestions to improve what I'm doing, other than gradually adding weight?

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:31 Mobile | Show all posts
You are big for your age!!!!!!!!
On a more serious note I would not go too much on weight especially if you are looking to put on muscle mass as you may well be setting yourself up for failure despite making massive improvements and even potentially more than previously.
My weight fluctuates on and off session and the last few years I have not got my weight down to where it used to be. However, my biking and running have been stronger so I suspect the weight is due to increased muscle so should be seen as a positive thing for what I do as it is giving me performance improvements.
Martial arts performance is often not about strength but more about speed and stamina so adding a lot of bulk to your upper body in terms of muscle could be counter productive.
In terms of exercises would find something that you enjoy doing and do that. I hate treadmills and static bikes so would go out for a 30 min run outside instead of treadmill inside.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:25:32 Mobile | Show all posts
Lol, age corrected...

Yeah huge muscles isn't my aim, but I'm not at all muscled at the minute so I can afford to add some without compromising on flexibility or cardio.

I want to increase strength.  When I do find myself on the ground with a similar sized opponent putting their weight on me I struggle to shift them.  Technique is obviously most important but if you don't have the strength to make some space then you're still going to lose.

I think I've read that to increase mass you should do small reps of high weight, but for strength you should do high reps of smaller weight?

In terms of the type of exercise, BJJ serves as my enjoyable fitness work.  I enjoy the sport, and I'm working towards blue belt as a personal target.

I agree that treadmills and static bikes are fairly dull, but I've got a TV on the wall in front of them so it passed easily.  Also I live in the country and there are too many idiot drivers on narrow roads to make road running sensible.  Plus I need to be able to stop and start to meet the needs of wife/breakfast/dogs/cats etc!

I find that cycling doesn't give me much of a cardio workout, more a leg exercise.  I'm out of puff after 10 minutes on the treadmill but just sore in the legs after the bike.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:33 Mobile | Show all posts
Try the Joe Wicks HIIT sessions on YouTube, remembering to do the warm up one as well. General all over body workouts circa 25 minutes long. Will help with endurance, flexibility and strength without putting in too much muscle.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:25:34 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks xar

Good for weight loss too? That's my main issue at the minute. Strength is secondary.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:35 Mobile | Show all posts
Sorry, yes, that is his main thing. Check out his website and general stuff by googling Joe Wicks The Body Coach. He has various cookbooks, videos, and a paid for 90 day plan if interested. A mate a work used the plan and dropped loads of weight. I don't have the time or inclination to follow the paid plan, but did buy the cookbooks, run 5km outdoors most mornings, and do a HIIT workout 4 times a week. Have lost circa 1.25 stones in a few months. I am 38, 5' 10", and was 14 stone originally.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:36 Mobile | Show all posts
Just to add, a variety of studies have shown that for men of our age (i.e. old gits) weight loss is achieved through diet, and exercise will allow us to maintain that weight. Exercise of itself will have minimal benefit for weight loss alone (although will help with other things). This is where i struggle the most.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
 Author| 26-11-2019 05:25:37 Mobile | Show all posts
Yeah I've found that in the past. In my early 30s I was always trying to lose weight but it was always 80% exercise and very little diet.

A few years ago I went full hardcore at the diet and exercise but mainly diet, and lost 4.5 stone in 5 months.

So annoyed at myself now that I threw it all away and got fat again!

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:38 Mobile | Show all posts
Although studies are not everything as I do not change my diet but gain and lose weight as exercise increases in race season. I am 41 so an old got too. In fact I would put myself as an example that you can outrun a rubbish diet within reason.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:25:39 Mobile | Show all posts
I do agree. I think it depends on your body type. I am an endomorph so i find it easy to put on muscle and achieve a good level of fitness, but i struggle to lose body fat.  My wife is an ectomorph so is the opposite. She eats what she likes, barely exercises, and never goes above a size 8.

Use magic Report

12Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部