1234Next
Back New
View: 943|Reply: 30

Running watch - current best options?

[Copy link]
26-11-2019 05:30:00 Mobile | Show all posts |Read mode
I've been thinking about dabbling in the smart watch market - mostly for running.  I currently run with my Android LG G3 (probably soon to be upgraded to a samsung s6/7) running the nike  app - got quite a few years of run history in there.  It's not a bad setup but I'm wondering if I can go without the phone - I keep the phone in a case which I need to take it out of to put in my running pouch for example.  Plus maybe I should try out this smart watch world.

Requirements:

Predominantly for running, so:
- Must be able to work with GPS stand-alone from phone
- Must be compatible with nike  (although if this is a no-goer, could consider changing app, particularly if I can export/import my history - are any apps integrated with spotify?)
- Must be able to play music through bluetooth headphones
- May have heart-rate monitor
- Ideally looks like a normal watch I can wear all the time in a professional environment - i.e. not some giant gaudy bright orange thing
- Ideally will give me control over the phone when they are together - e.g. reading messages, controlling spotify etc

Budget - a few hundred? - ideally sub £200 but could go higher for something that ticks all the boxes.

So... any ideas?

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 05:30:01 Mobile | Show all posts
The Polar M600 seems to tick a lot of the boxes, except Nike  - any opinions on that one?
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:30:02 Mobile | Show all posts
Sony Smartwatch 3 SW50. It also has a degree of water resistance.
It doesn't have a heart monitor but the ones that do are not very good and wildly inaccurate.
It ticks all the rest of your boxes though. Not going to get a chance today, but tomorrow I'll see if I can connect my heart rate monitor to it whilst it is running Runtastic and playing music through my Bluetooth earphones.
Of course, it you are that much of a regular runner then you probably know what your heart rate is doing through anyway..

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 05:30:03 Mobile | Show all posts
Thanks.  Heart rate is way down the list really.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:30:04 Mobile | Show all posts
I didn't think I'd use heart rate monitor much, but it is a very usefull thing to have.

Can't recommend anything as I love my orange tom tom multi sport

Use magic Report

26-11-2019 05:30:04 Mobile | Show all posts
Samsung Gear Fit 2. Has GPS, 4gb internal storage so can store and control music directly from the device. Has a Samsung OLED display which speaks for itself. And looks very understated.
You'll need to buy from Amazon Germany as I did though as it's not out in the UK.
Samsung Gear Fit 2 Smartwatch mit Pulssensor und Benachrichtigungen - Dunkelgrau (L):Amazon.de:Elektronik

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:30:05 Mobile | Show all posts
Garmin is pretty much the go to brand when it comes to GPS watches IMHO. They have something for most budgets and as others have said I would recommend getting one with HR monitoring (but get a chest strap one and not one built into the watch itself as they tend to be a little flakey and not good for tracking HR when actually running!!!)

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 05:30:06 Mobile | Show all posts
Okay thanks all - having done some more research the Sony is looking like the winner.  Has GPS, looks normal, good price (£100), music, does support a Bluetooth heart strap if I ever feel so inclined, etc.  Main 'downside' is no wireless charging.

Going to see if I can find one 'in the flesh'.

Use magic Report

Author| 26-11-2019 05:30:07 Mobile | Show all posts
Hmm none around here.  Going to pull the trigger on this I think with amazon.

Question 2 - can anyone recommend some decent Bluetooth earphones to pair it with?   I currently have a set of wired Adidas in-ear which I use for all purposes - happy with the sound quality - think they were about £30.

Any recommendations in the Bluetooth space?

Thanks

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Administrators

Credits
26-11-2019 05:30:08 Mobile | Show all posts
I use soundpeats q7. Fantastic bit of kit, one charge lasts hours, takes about an hour to charge from flat, look great, very light and have never fallen out. I use them for running, weight training, HIIT and commuting. Also very cheap on Amazon. I think there is a few posts on here about it...

Use magic Report

1234Next
Back New
You have to log in before you can reply Login | register

Points Rules

返回顶部